Thread: Is it real ?

Default Is it real ?

Hello again folks !

Firstly ,thank you all very much for replying to my previous questions, you guys really are a fantastic well of information (And damn good tips too!)

Anyway, I have just made my first ever cluster (CZ's) and wouldn't you know that just made me wanna keep making, improving and creating even more....WOW This jewellery game is so addictive and rewarding However, my point after 4 lines is to ask this question :

If I'm offered a precious stone ring ,either as a part exchange or to buy in for stock...How can I be sure that I'm not getting a fake ?

I have looked at a loose CZ,Diamond and (I think the name is) Mossanite...I can see the difference in their brilliance but if a stone is set in a setting or ring, how can I avoid not getting ripped off ? I have heard that using a graver tool to scratch the surface works, but my tutor said that this isn't always an indication. I also heard that fogging it with breath works but would this still work if the ring is in a setting ?

Also, sorry to add another question here, but does a reconstructed from Diamond dust Diamond withstand heat in the same way a natural Diamond does ? AKA Does a recon have the same properties as a natural Diamond ?

Many thanks for taking the time to read this

Quote Originally Posted by Skieferins View Post
    If I'm offered a precious stone ring ,either as a part exchange or to buy in for stock...How can I be sure that I'm not getting a fake ?

I have looked at a loose CZ,Diamond and (I think the name is) Mossanite...I can see the difference in their brilliance but if a stone is set in a setting or ring, how can I avoid not getting ripped off ? I have heard that using a graver tool to scratch the surface works, but my tutor said that this isn't always an indication.
    You can get such things as diamond and moissanite testers reasonably cheaply, though they won't tell you anything about the quality of the stones. To be able to assess their quality and reliably identify and assess the quality of other precious stones you need to get yourself an education in gemmology.

If you're being invited to accept a precious stone ring as part of a deal and you're not confident about the market value of what you're being offered then the safe option is not to enter into a deal of that nature. Presumably it's not you but the other person pushing for the ring to be part of the deal. Ultimately the question is what price is being put on the ring? If the sum is trifling and you've calculated you can get your money back just from the scrap metal then you've not much to worry about - unless you end up being a receiver of stolen goods.

I think Mark has given you a pretty comprehensive answer.

Even though you are a serious maker, you can still not have all the disciplines at your finger tips. Some send out work to casters, some to setters, some to engravers. In your case, you need a valuer. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Skieferins View Post

How can I be sure that I'm not getting a fake ?
    Short answer - you can't.

Diamond tester
    Moissanite tester
    Polariscope
    Refractometer

But even then after all that, even the pro's can often not be *sure*.

You can gain confidence by a number of identifiers, but you won't ever be certain unless you dug the thing out of the ground and its never ever left your line of sight ever since. The tell-tale signs are expert territory and the distance between natural and synthetic is constantly reduced by the synthesisers (& fakers) ever closing the distance to the real with their manufacturing processes.

Many synthetics are 'better' i.e. cleaner than natural, so if you have a mucky diamond, with inclusions / poor colour the chances are it is natural and if the gem is clean and a good grade of white and you're being offered it for a song either...

• steer clear - those goods are stolen
    • snap their hand off accepting the risk that it is possibly synthetic
    • snap their hand off accepting the risk that you are handling stolen goods and take the rap when it comes
    • politely decline stating uncertainty as to value and / or that the goods are not in your hand-made line

Thank you all for answering so quickly. Obviously I don't want to ever knowingly buy any shady goods, crime might pay but I ain't after that kind of wage!!

So in a nutshell, it comes down to just gaining experience through trial and error and hoping that any seller is genuine. OK but I was just kind of hoping for a bit of insight like practical tips for stones set in pieces that might get me started.

So the other question was about recon stones...From what I understand, a Diamond,Ruby,Sapphire and Emerald can be reconstructed from dust of the corresponding stones (I am unsure howthis is done, I'd love to find out if possible in laymen terms)...So does the recon have the same hardness,heat resistance or durability as a natural stone ?

Dear Skieferins,

While you are welcome to pursue this topic here, most of us aren't into breaking up old jewellery to extract the gemstones. It's far simpler to go to a reputable dealer and buy them there.

So if you want to go into this in depth, you might have to visit a gemnological forum such as is found here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fo...6qJ8OzaYC_kpgM

Or perhaps study this:http://www.gemologyonline.com/LaShawn/appraisal.html. Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis; 07-01-2016 at 11:20 PM.

There's a few courses around - GemA & GIA run some of the better ones. But even then there's room for doubt and the fakers keep getting better.

(Metalsmith - think you missed specific gravity measurement off the list!)

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, personally - I'm not interested in buying other people's stock and the best I'd offer would be scrap value on the gold (which I'd test even if it did have a hallmark). But my preference is to point people towards someone else.

BTW - what on earth are reconstructed diamonds?

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    There's a few courses around - GemA & GIA run some of the better ones. But even then there's room for doubt and the fakers keep getting better.

(Metalsmith - think you missed specific gravity measurement off the list!)

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, personally - I'm not interested in buying other people's stock and the best I'd offer would be scrap value on the gold (which I'd test even if it did have a hallmark). But my preference is to point people towards someone else.

BTW - what on earth are reconstructed diamonds?

True. I rarely use SG for stones, but it's my test of preference for metal combined with the proverbial acid test.

Reconstructed diamonds - dunno, it's the first I've heard, though I've been told of services to have a pet / relatives ashes made into diamond...

The Lifegems stuff are just HPHT synthetic diamonds, so grown using some of the ash.

I've got a moderate amount of unlabelled facet rough, so SG helps me confirm what I think it is (RI is only useful once it has a polished face).