Thread: Loving It To Death.

Default Loving It To Death.

Early last year, I was asked to make a ring of silver leaves, but I had it finished so quickly, that I also sent a second one with shamrocks for good luck.

This second ring using thin wire, proved to be such a favourite that it was worn continually, until by December, it was returned as having ‘unravelled’. Well, not exactly: it proved to be too fragile and was broken across the front, the most vulnerable part.

To repair it, I soldered an openwork shamrock over the fracture but as it is likely to break again, I also sent completely new ring made with stouter wire.

It’s lucky for me that as a hobbyist, I am free to experiment and don’t have to cope with irate customers demanding a refund.

Wire used for the ring which broke: 0.7mm in diameter.
    Wire for revised design: 1.0mm, lightly rolled to make it appear narrower.
    Ring size L, so quite small. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 Shamrock Ring Original.jpg   2 Shamrock Ring Repaired.jpg   3 Stouter Version.jpg  

that I also sent a second one with shamrocks for good luck.
    What a nice gesture Dennis.

Your post is a good reminder of the need to build durability into items particularly those intended for wear by others.
    The new model looks much more robust.

Like you I'm a firstly a hobbyist but I try to recoup a bit of my investment by selling a few items. One of my biggest fears is an unhappy customer!
    Tim

Nice work, Dennis - and I agree with Tim, nice gesture.
    Alan

Love it Dennis!- you know I loved the first version too

This certainly can be an issue with new designs in particular and especially those with sentimental value where the customer wants to wear then 24/7 365 days a year regardless of what they are putting them through!
    Particularly an issue with the horsey folk that I deal with and something I have to put a great deal of thought into.
    I haven't so far had an irate customer though, I find that as long as you are willing to work with them they are fine and thankfully I haven't had many issues come up so far.
    The bigger issue is how long after selling something do you accept responsibility for repair?
    Especially with memorial items which are clearly intended for long term use.
    I tend to make my designs as robust as possible and if it is a more delicate design at the customers request I point this out and they then have to accept responsibility for any repairs.
    Still its hard to make things that will take any level of abuse forever….

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Three times a charm.

Beautiful. 1mm seems to be my minimum standard these days.

Thank you all for your kind comments. Dennis.