Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: newbie tool advice - which doming set?

I've had three sets of disc cutters over the years (including that one Dennis recommended - sorry Dennis) but the only set that has been worthwhile is the Swanstrom one. It's quite expensive but worth every penny in my opinion.

Yes but then I would upgrade you Carole, from 'occasional user' to 'professional user'. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes but then I would upgrade you Carole, from 'occasional user' to 'professional user'. Dennis.
    I think that must be the forum's equivalent of being bumped up from economy to business class on a flight - is there any free champagne, Dennis?

Alan

'Fraid not Alan it's the cuts, you see. There might be some wine gums. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I've had three sets of disc cutters over the years (including that one Dennis recommended - sorry Dennis) but the only set that has been worthwhile is the Swanstrom one. It's quite expensive but worth every penny in my opinion.
    I would agree with Carole. I've had my Swanstrom for years and also have a cheappie, which is crap. I'd go with the Swanstrom, which produces discs with little or no cleanup after cutting. xx
    Jules

I wondered why my leg room was so poor! Incidentally, 'fraid the cutter set that I have where many of the dies no longer fit the holes is that very one :-(

Wow, what a nice surprise I had this morning....I thought no one had replied to my thread as when I previously posted on the forum I got an email everytime someone responded, this time no emails so...

Anyway, hope I haven't caused any offence by posting and then seeming to ignore all responses. It's so helpful to get a range of views and even better when the advice is not to spend more money!

I am still very much a beginner so don't know how much use I'll get out of the set, initially I want it for trying out dome setting stones. So I'm going to go with the brass cube/boxwood punches option (thanks Dennis). Any advice as to which 'reputable dealer'? Are proops any good? They seem very reasonable or just stick with cookies?

Many thanks,
    Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

I bought a super cheap set from cousins recently, as I hardly use them but wanted something 'just incase' I haven't tested them out properly yet but can do tomorrow if you like and I can report back? They seem fine though!

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/dapping-punches-steel

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/dapping-cubes-steel

I have the top item (cheapest!) from each link

Here are their wooden ones then. They seem OK from the description, but Cousins refuse returns if you don't like them when they arrive, as part of their business to business policy. Dennis.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/da...en?code=P20868 and here are the brass cubes
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/da...ss?code=D36262

Dennis.

...Or if they're faulty.
    Or if they're damaged in transit.
    Or if they're just the wrong item shipped...