Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Handwriting / text on silver - how?!

The printer that I have ordered is a Samsung 2026 - and I think the spec says that it will go up to 1200 x 600 dpi. Looking forward to trying it out.

Can I ask what carrier medium you use for toner transfer - PNP / OHP film / or as I read the other day - magazine pages! ?

When I did my test yesterday I just used a basic permanent marker pen - not one of the specific resist pens that you can buy (It was a Stabilo one). One observation is that it rubs off quite easily so if you are checking to see the depth of the etch you have to go very carefully.

PnP blue for etching, bog standard paper for image transfer (where I'll scribe over the result).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160115_120254.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	8579

I do everything that should not work, I use a Brother printer with OHP sheets, this image was a photo of water, that I made B&W in photoshop. This is 1.2mm silver left in warm Ferric Nitrate for about 3 hours, with a thin resist the result would not be as sharp and the "acid" would eat away at the resist. On the reverse & sides I paint with nail varnish. You can see that I have a good depth on the etch.
    Its a poor photo but taken on the kitchen table...
    So if my client wanted a personal handwritten message...I would scan the handwriting, invert the image in photoshop, then carry on as normal.
    Last edited by art925; 15-01-2016 at 12:43 PM.
    Poor old Les

Thanks both - that is really helpful