Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Sawing problems from a new member~please feel free to answer

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Yes Tim as Dennis said, re bench peg position, I have the flat surface of my bench peg facing up for piercing and most jobs, I only use the sloping side when I am doing a lot of large file filing, for needle filing I leave the flat side up as I have small filing areas cut into the front of my peg.

This is my current piercing bench peg;
    Attachment 8544

James
    Ahh, thank you both. A long term question now answered.

Dennis, I think having a loose peg would drive me nuts when piercing. It doesn't seem a good setup for those trying to learn.

James, Thanks for the photo. Mine attached. I have a habit of cutting notches and grooves which I find helpful to stabilise some items but not sure if this is common practice. Aways interested to see others.
    Presumably the hammers shown are for anticlasting the flower petals/leaves which look fantastic already? How do you close off the ends? is it with a doming punch and the wooden block I can see? I'm interested as it would be a useful technique to finish the ends of synclastic cuffs. I did a trial one a few months ago and struggled a bit with the ends. (Sorry if I'm going off thread)
    Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1855.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Ahh, thank you both. A long term question now answered.

Dennis, I think having a loose peg would drive me nuts when piercing. It doesn't seem a good setup for those trying to learn.

James, Thanks for the photo. Mine attached. I have a habit of cutting notches and grooves which I find helpful to stabilise some items but not sure if this is common practice. Aways interested to see others.
    Presumably the hammers shown are for anticlasting the flower petals/leaves which look fantastic already? How do you close off the ends? is it with a doming punch and the wooden block I can see? I'm interested as it would be a useful technique to finish the ends of synclastic cuffs. I did a trial one a few months ago and struggled a bit with the ends. (Sorry if I'm going off thread)
    Tim
    Tim, I used a lead block and the doming punch to finish the ends of the petals. I make my own lead blocks by melting scrap lead into a steel ingot mold, they are good because when they get marked a lot I just re melt and have a new block.

I use my lead blocks for shaping many things, especially leaves.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19a Lead block sheet.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	8546 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lily petals for Blue base lampshades 7.jpg 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	8547 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue base shade top lily.jpg 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	8548

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 04-01-2016 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks again James. I have some lead scrap so will have a go at making a block. In the picture, are the domed impressions in the lead formed deliberately when casting the ingot or later with a hammer/punch?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Thanks again James. I have some lead scrap so will have a go at making a block. In the picture, are the domed impressions in the lead formed deliberately when casting the ingot or later with a hammer/punch?
    Tim
    The impressions in the lead block are all formed with hammers and punches Tim. When the block is fresh it has semi flat surfaces.