Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durston c80

Default Durston c80

So I have been contemplating treating myself to a rolling mill for quite sometime and have been saving the pennies. Last night I hastily ordered the c80 mill so take advantage of the free delivery. Now I'm doubting my decision!!
    The area of flat rollers seems quite narrow (4cm) and I'm not sure I will use it for making wire. I really want it for texturing and rolling out scrap so m thinking maybe a wider flat area might have been better.
    Has anyone got experience of the c80? Should I cancel/return and save a little longer for the next model up with the wider fat area on the rollers?

Hi Caline, I hate to say this, but I use my mill mostly for rolling down and texturing. I have an 8cm flat area, but even then I sometimes wish I had 10, so as to avoid hitting the grooves.
    It is also worth having gears unless you are very muscular. Dennis

Can you buy replacement flat rollers for a Durston?

Hi Caline, you said that you have ordered the Durston C80, is it possible you could change your order for the F80 which is the same size mill, but fitted with only flat rollers.http://www.durston.co.uk/mini-economy.htm

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 30-12-2015 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Hi Caline, you said that you have ordered the Durston C80, is it possible you could change your order for the F80 which is the same size mill, but fitted with only flat rollers.http://www.durston.co.uk/mini-economy.htm

James
    That looks perfect! I can't see it on the cooksons website though and not sure where else I could buy it from for a similar price?

Quote Originally Posted by Caline View Post
    That looks perfect! I can't see it on the cooksons website though and not sure where else I could buy it from for a similar price?
    That's the problem Cookson stock very few of them. I have the c100 but like Dennis I haven't used the wire rollers yet and would have preferred just the rollers but Cookson had a good deal on sale and free delivery. The geared mills are a necessity in my opinion though

Quote Originally Posted by Caline View Post
    You could ask them if they can supply you with that model - might work, might not.

I am pretty sure that who ever you ordered from will only have showroom stock of the Durston Mills and that any orders would be supplied direct from Durston, so as Peter says it's worth asking.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    You could ask them if they can supply you with that model - might work, might not.
    Didn't work for me when I wanted the double ended polishing motor :-(

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I have the c100 but like Dennis I haven't used the wire rollers yet and would have preferred just the rollers but Cookson had a good deal on sale and free delivery. The geared mills are a necessity in my opinion though
    Well, the grooves have some common uses, for instance making wire from ingots and reducing square wire more rapidly than a draw plate would. Also creating a stepped tip on wire, which is less wasteful than filing it prior to drawing down.

The D shaped extensions can convert round wire, or create flanges on each side of an existing D shape, by passing it through a smaller groove. This can make shanks and wedding bands more decorative. Dennis.