Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sawing problems from a new member~please feel free to answer

Default Sawing problems from a new member~please feel free to answer

1) Do I need to wear a mask when I do the sawing? afraid of the dust do harm~~

2) I want to cut some really hard materials, what brand of sawblade will be the best?

Regarding harmful dust, it depends on what materials are you intending to saw. If it is base or precious metals then no mask should be required as the saw dust is heavier than air and as the piercing saw blade cuts on the down stroke, the saw dust should head downwards.

I use Glardon Vallorbe saw Super jewellers saw blades, the size you use will depend on the thickness of metals you are cutting.

James

Dear Kay,

As you have probably seen, the members vie with each other to give satisfactory answers to questions like yours.

Unfortunately you are playing your cards rather close to your chest and James' response might not apply in your case. What 'really hard materials' do you have in mind? Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    1) Do I need to wear a mask when I do the sawing? afraid of the dust do harm~~

2) I want to cut some really hard materials, what brand of sawblade will be the best?
    As to hardness, silver, gold, platinum; copper and brass (the most common precious and base metals have a hardness of 2.5, 2-5-3; 3.5; 3, 3-4 Mohs tho' you might find different numbers for Brinell, Knoop and others.

These don't rank as really hard. To cut anything hard, simply use something harder. For hard stones (not metals), carborundum and diamond wheels are common. For most metals steel which as a set of alloys has a range of hardnesses will do.

All dust is harmful, but heavy materials fall quicker and pose less of a risk; the heavier the material, the quicker the risk is reduced. Whilst there is frequently little incentive for collecting stone dust, for precious metals its different.

Dear James,

Thank you for your quick reply. I know the brand you have suggested is very good and I tried it with 1.5mm thickness brass with a 3/0 and #2 sized blade, the result was bit unfavorable, maybe I weren't skill enough......

Dear Metalsmith,

Thank you for reply =)

does it mean, for cutting metals, I don't need a mask??

the metal I tried to cut is a mixed material mainly brass. I've found it hard to cut(take a long time and teeth of blade got blunt quickly),I tried many different brands and sizes of blades, but don't seem great improvement, that's why ask for help here. can you kindly suggest how I can do better??

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Dear Kay,

As you have probably seen, the members vie with each other to give satisfactory answers to questions like yours.

Unfortunately you are playing your cards rather close to your chest and James' response might not apply in your case. What 'really hard materials' do you have in mind? Dennis.
    Dear Dennis,

Thanks for your remind.

I'd like to cut a mixed material mainly brass thickness around 1.5mm (I made the guess cause I don't have the measure tool).

For cutting out detail patterns, I am using Niqua Antilope blue label 3/0 and 4/0 blades. I feel a bit confused that the 3/0 blades are hardly "bite" into the metal and quickly became blunt after few minutes of using. But the situation didn't occur on the 4/0 blade of the same brand, it seems function well.(the company have just changed the packing, my 3/0 with new packing, 4/0 with old packing) I'm not sure are the contents the same between the old and new packing or I do something incorrect??

If I was cutting 1.5mm. thick metal, I would use a 2/0 or 0 size blade. I must admit that I rarely cut brass though. The only base metals that I would cut is either copper or gilding metal, and that is just for patterns like these cut from 1mm. thick copper and gilding metal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12b Shade panel patterns, low res.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	8499 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21a Copper pattern for lamp shade piercing.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	8500 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	216 Overlay patterns.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	8501

James

Hi Kay, brass is very tough to cut, but with patience and lubrication it will happen.

Patience: dont press forward on the blade but let it work at its own speed, always on the down stroke.
    Lubrication: bees wax, or candle wax rubbed on the back of the blade every two or three centimetres of progress works well.
    Blade size: for the thickness of brass you are cutting, 2/0 or even 1/0 blades would be what to use. Finer ones are too fragile.

As James has already said Vallorbe is probably the best you can buy. He is after all our expert on this. Regards, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    Dear Metalsmith,

Thank you for reply =)

does it mean, for cutting metals, I don't need a mask??

the metal I tried to cut is a mixed material mainly brass. I've found it hard to cut(take a long time and teeth of blade got blunt quickly),I tried many different brands and sizes of blades, but don't seem great improvement, that's why ask for help here. can you kindly suggest how I can do better??
    I would find it irresponsible to recommend anyone should not wear a mask in the presence of particulates. However, the simplest test is to wear a mask if you have one, ideally with new filters; you can use the speed with which they dirty through breathing as a guide to what you might otherwise be inhaling, then it is your choice to continue cutting / wearing - or not.

Using a coarser saw blade appropriate to the thickness of the metal will help keep the particles coarse and heavy particles do not tend to stay airborne. Hand piercing rather than tool-cutting is less energetic (except on the jeweller) and particles tend to drop rather than fly up.

History has provided most of our knowledge on the effect of particulates; particularly silicosis / pneumoconiosis from the stone cutting & mining industries. I'm not aware of similar afflictions affecting jewellers who pierce without masks, but I would recommend using a mask if using a cutting wheel or dry grinder, if only to protect against the grind-stone particles becoming loose / airborne on use.