Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sawing problems from a new member~please feel free to answer

On james's guidance I saw the way he said - sideways. It feels a bit cack handed to start with but once you get used to it, much more accurate.
    Just as another nosy question, do you flux or borax, sometimes I find that when i have soldered something and its still hot, if i need a bit more solder I have had a problem keeping the solder on the piece, it jumps off.
    Last edited by Patstone; 29-12-2015 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    On james's guidance I saw the way he said - sideways. It feels a bit cack handed to start with but once you get used to it, much more accurate.
    Just as another nosy question, do you flux or borax, sometimes I find that when i have soldered something and its still hot, if i need a bit more solder I have had a problem keeping the solder on the piece, it jumps off.
    If I want to add more solder to something that is hot Pat, as I use my trusty old borax cone and dish for fluxing, when soldering I have the borax mixed in a milky mixture in the dish next to my soldering block, so I pick up the solder piece in my tweezers, dip the solder into the borax mix, then hold the solder in place on the hot soldering position while the borax heats up and this adheres the solder in place before final soldering heat is applied.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    The usual way beginners start piercing is to hold the frame straight and pierce away from their face straight down the bench peg V cut out. I was taught to pierce holding the saw frame at right angles to my face and pierce across the bench peg V cut, I was told that is is better to see where the saw was going rather than where it has been.
    Does anyone know of a video source where this technique is demonstrated as I'm having a hard time trying to visualise this and where my hand/body placement should be?

Quote Originally Posted by vsilvered View Post
    Does anyone know of a video source where this technique is demonstrated as I'm having a hard time trying to visualise this and where my hand/body placement should be?
    We had a thread some time ago where this was discussed in more detail:
    http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...highlight=hold

Thanks Aurarius,

I had a check on that thread you mentioned, but either I've had too much sloe gin over the festive period, or am just being dense, but I still can't visualise the hand/saw/metal placement in relation to the bench peg as described by James

Well, simply put: saw across the bench peg, not along it, the more easily to see where you are going. Dennis.

Hi. I have a short and very simple video on my website - here
    hope it helps you get started.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Thanks for the help everyone.

I'll let you know how I get on!

You place the piece on the "V" of the benchpeg and hold the saw in your hand so the blade is parallel with the bench inside the "V" slot and saw across the "V"
    Last edited by Patstone; 30-12-2015 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks James, I am going to make myself a steady bench pin. I lubricated on the teeth before, just like you said~a mess...=.=" will update my progress to you~~