Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sawing problems from a new member~please feel free to answer

And of course wear glasses or goggles to protect your eyes. Not easy making jewellery with one eye, done that, been there.....

oh dear,did you got hurt when making jewellery??

Thank you James, your advises do a lot of help, I've just tried the Glardon Vallorbe blade again, it works better after I have followed what you and Dennis said.

I think I couldn't got the correct tension of the blade before, today I use the Knew concept frame and tune the tension slightly, seems that I am on the right track finally. I will keep working on it, hope my skills can get better.

Thanks again.

Thanks Dennis, agreed that brass is tough=="

I've tried what you told me, it does help, gald that I found this forum and you guys =)

No, had a cataract op that went wrong and lost my eye. Got a false eye, it is a pretty good match though.

I see,bless you and thanks for the comment, I ll wear goggles. Happy new year =)

Kay, may I ask what you are attempting to pierce? perhaps show a photo. Do you like you knew concepts saw and is it one with the swivel blade tension lever?

If you are interested in what I do have a look at this Knewconcepts newsletter article; http://knewconcepts.com/JamesMiller.php

James

wow James you are a ture master, didn't expect can meet an expert! lucky me.

I am using the 5" Fret Saw with Lever Tension, like it a lot =) light and easy to adjust the tension. thinking of buy one more for reserve.

I visited a market months ago, saw a craftsman piercing metals into jewelry. It looked fun and beautiful, that's why I started self-learning piercing. But seems I am not gifted, tried for long time but didn't work well. Until yesterday got the answer here, great improvement of using the knew concept with the glardon vallorbe you suggested. I think it was the tension and lubricant not enough before. I used the german saw frame, it is also cool but a bit heavier and harder to adjust the right tension for new hand like me~

Kay, not sure if you want to know, but here are a few simple tips for easier piercing, first make sure that you bench pin is steady and secure, it should not move at all when in use. The usual way beginners start piercing is to hold the frame straight and pierce away from their face straight down the bench peg V cut out. I was taught to pierce holding the saw frame at right angles to my face and pierce across the bench peg V cut, I was told that is is better to see where the saw was going rather than where it has been. Let the blade do the cutting on it's down stroke and do not push the blade forward and you will break less blades. I use a wax candle as a lubricant, I rub the candle down the rear of my saw blades regularly, never on the teeth of the blade as that creates a mess that hides the piercing line. Practice makes perfect. This photo shows my work bench and my piercing bench peg. You can see that I also use the Knewconcept saw frames.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42b- Jims workbench.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	8502

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I was taught to pierce holding the saw frame at right angles to my face and pierce across the bench peg V cut, I was told that is is better to see where the saw was going rather than where it has been.
    James, I feel like I've just had an epiphany reading this! I wasn't taught that way, yet it makes perfect sense. I'll try it out tomorrow and report back!