Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: todays effort, putting gemsetterchris' advice to use.

Default todays effort, putting gemsetterchris' advice to use.

so here we go, I attempted to do what Chris (and others) have advised, rather then having bent claws to hold my stone I have done it the 'right' way.
    it was pretty tricky but I think it turned out ok for my first attempt at a new technique.
    please let me know what you think, and yes, I know, its a ring... again.

so where have I gone wrong? have I gone wrong at all? I have not got any burrs or such stuff so it was all done with needle nose files.
    the ring still needs a final polish.
    Last edited by sam.k; 26-01-2016 at 09:41 PM.

Looks good from here much neater from the top view don`t you think?

Sometimes you might need to drill out some of the bezel with a ball burr so that stones girdle sits level & lower (doesn`t look like you could on that one though).
    File & rubber wheel are fine to use, just try keeping the claws identical & evenly spaced on the stone (you can often use the facets to help with that).

I was very concerned about the prongs not being long enough right up to the end. Then everything just sort of clicked together. It does have a much neater look about it. Looks like I've got a bit of reworking to do on some of my past pieces.

If you are unsure, you can leave them a fraction long & cut & file once pushed up to the stone.
    I'd leave your originals for something to look back on & see your progress.

You don`t have to always do things the same way, in fact the more methods you know of doing the same job the better...
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 27-01-2016 at 09:55 AM.

Looking good!
    And yes, I felt the same about it being too short too although having said that I have done one too short and had to redo…
    Its why I like the cup burr for finishing as unless the stone is really soft you can do finish the prongs with them in place before the final tightening- that may not be correct though...

If you start learning hand engraving they always advise learning the traditional rules.
    Then you can bend/break them if you know it works.
    I guess that's a good plan for most things.

The great thing about setting your own creations is that you`ll quickly see how you "could of" made things just abit different to make the setting part easier, & setting not quite right jobs will tune up your problem solving.
    That`s why there is traditional conflict between mounters & setters in the trade.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 27-01-2016 at 12:12 PM.

All shiny and done
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BBDhlwWqs9B/
    I can't believe just how well this one turned out, it may not be quite up to your guys standard but I've seen worse things in jewlers Windows.

Oh, Chris' standard is way above mine lol
    Your finish is really improving too

Well done Sam, that looks really good.

Can see real improvement there Sam......keep at it!!