Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Bit More Metal Scratching...

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    That is very clever. Can I ask what you use to blacken the aluminium?
    Not sure if it's cleverness or just a cussed refusal to give in but either way, I'll gladly take any compliments that are offered!

The blacking is done with black engine lacquer. Polish the whole piece, then paint over the design. Leave paint until it just starts to get tacky, then wipe off with a rag with a drop of cellulose thinners on it. This will clean the high spots and leave the lower parts darker. Finally, once all dry, give it all another gentle polish.

S.M.
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/dtrpp

Twitter: @DTRMetalArt

Lovely work SM, another one in the wishing I could do that pile!!
    Interesting way of blackening the design......I'm guessing this is fairly robust to wear and tear??

The blacking is fairly robust yeah. Am still looking at ways to refine it further, possibly gently warming the piece to replicate the engine heat the paint is designed for. This might put a final cure into the paint.

Interesting the number of people who say they wish they could do hand engraving. It's not actually that hard to get started on. As I've mentioned, a lot of my tools are home made from bits of scrap so minimum financial investment. Obviously it takes some time and effort to get to the stage where you're producing anything worth having but that probably goes for any of the processes people on here are involved in. That's what makes it all so rewarding. If you want some inspiration for hand engraving, suggest Googling either Ford Hallam or (the "culprit" for me getting involved) a guy out in California called Tay Herrera.

S.M.
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/dtrpp

Twitter: @DTRMetalArt

Incredibly brilliant work! I wish I could do hand engraving as beautifully as you make them.

lovely - taking off my virtual hat to you!

Stunning work, I too feel the metal use is irrelevant. Its what you choose, its your art and its lovely.