Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Bit More Metal Scratching...

Default A Bit More Metal Scratching...

Greetings all. Once again I must apologise for not visiting the forum so much these days. Have managed to get a bit of jewellery making time in recently though, the result being this pair of engraved aluminium bracelets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SB2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	8463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SB1.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	8464

S.M.
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/dtrpp

Twitter: @DTRMetalArt

Those are really splendid. With engraving of this quality, the metal used becomes irrelevant. I would like to know though what polishing compound you use as that can make a filthy mess. Dennis.

Many thanks for the compliments. That's a very interesting point you make about the metal used Dennis. I generally use aluminium for the rather prosaic reason that I simply have a lot of it about as a bi-product of my larger scale fabrication work. A comment I often get, however, is that I need to move into precious metals to really make the engraving work worth while. To hear someone say that the engraving actually counts for more than the metal is certainly intriguing.

On the subject of how I polish the pieces, I'm afraid I'm going to make myself look like a bit of an animal here. It's really nothing complicated or refined. It's just plenty of work with very fine abrasive paper (1000 grit or finer) and then a really good go with Solvol Autosol. Finally I give them a gentle wipe over with a very soft paper tissue.

S.M.

Beautiful - and what a great use for your leftovers.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Stirring Moose View Post
    On the subject of how I polish the pieces, I'm afraid I'm going to make myself look like a bit of an animal here. It's really nothing complicated or refined. It's just plenty of work with very fine abrasive paper (1000 grit or finer) and then a really good go with Solvol Autosol. Finally I give them a gentle wipe over with a very soft paper tissue. S.M.
    Yes that makes sense:simple and direct. We always have some of that polish at home, from the days of chrome bumpers. You can guess what we call it no doubt. Not fit for a family friendly forum like this.

Whenever I advise beginners on abudget to use a household metal polish, rather than buy expensive compounds straight away, I don't get any support from other members. Being a cynic I feel that they want to join the tribe and behave like real jewellers. Dennis.

Well I can assure you I'm on your side on this one Dennis. I'm all for keeping things simple and using what's to hand wherever possible. The Autosol's on the bench anyway, at least in part because we still have the odd chrome bumper that needs attending to! I'm also all for not leaping in and spending mega money on tools until you hit a job that leaves you with no option. All my gravers are made from old needle files, thread taps etc that have suffered mishaps or just gone blunt. They're still decent bits of steel and a few minutes at the bench grinder can turn them into perfectly acceptable engraving tools.

S.M.

That's beautiful engraving work and I love the fact you're using bi products, I'm all for recycling

The engraving is beautiful. Also wish I could do that!

That is very clever. Can I ask what you use to blacken the aluminium?