Thread: Bar Setting

Question Bar Setting

I've bought a Round 5 stone Eternity Ring blank from Cooksons (FAK 059 ) and I'm a bit puzzled about setting the stones in it.
    I believe it's called a "BAR Setting" and given that Cooksons sell them, I thought I would find info on it quite easily.

And although I can find visual references of Bar Setting from other jewellers, I can find no thoughts on setting it either in these forums
    or any others.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

It sounds like it would be a channel setting?
    Try looking on Ganokskin for channel setting
    Failing that maybe post a pic so we can be sure what type of setting it is

I have no advice to offer, but this is the setting in question for others who are curious.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	setting.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	8454
    - Emily

Sam.k just posted a thread "my first ring" that is a bar set amber.
    Basically you push back a bar & insert stone ( sometimes a little notch in the side of the bar for the girdle )..
    That bar is then pushed back to vertical...then onto the next stone.

Once all in you can push the crossbar down to tighten & then It's a case of filing & buffing to a nice shape (generally rounded).

Hope that helps abit.

Default Intriqued!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    Sam.k just posted a thread "my first ring" that is a bar set amber.
    Basically you push back a bar & insert stone ( sometimes a little notch in the side of the bar for the girdle )..
    That bar is then pushed back to vertical...then onto the next stone.

Once all in you can push the crossbar down to tighten & then It's a case of filing & buffing to a nice shape (generally rounded).

Hope that helps a bit.

"So it's a kind of snap in. I'll try but it is 9 carat gold with quite solid bars, I hope I can push it enough.

Many thanks."

I've done these in silver. I undercut slightly to open out the notch for the girdle that Chris refers to. I didn't have to do too much pushing sideways once the undercutting was done, and tapping downwards finally to hold the stones was easy enough. It's quite a secure setting when it's done and also doesn't have any tendency to catch on clothing as claw-set rings can.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Apps View Post
    "So it's a kind of snap in. I'll try but it is 9 carat gold with quite solid bars, I hope I can push it enough.
    I'd be abit careful with snap in, what you can do if It's impossible to push is grind a flat side on a grain tool & use it as a leverage.
    Try & avoid the stones touching each other by cutting away as little as you can from each side of the bar ( just as much as needed for the stone to sit correctly with the bar vertical ).
    Lastly if pushing as you will at the ends..make sure the ring is dead tight in the clamp or you'll be hurting yourself.