Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total fail-soldering problems

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    It probably would, but before you buy it or something similar, could you try making a more heat-conserving soldering station? For instance, by surrounding the workpiece closely on three sides (you could even add a "roof" that projects part way over the work). This will reflect a lot more of the stray heat from the torch back on to the work. I do this myself on larger pieces and the difference in heating efficiency is huge. I think Dennis posted an illustration somewhere of his own arrangement.

Thanks, I tried that last night and still failed.
    I think if my techniques were perfect I might possibly get away with it as I did manage to eventually get one done that way but I need all the help I can get :/
    Ive been out and bought one this afternoon so fingers crossed….

Well its very hot…..
    Melted a hole in the edge of the cuff with it last night
    I don't mind too much tbh as I already had all my christmas orders posted out so less rushed now at least and can play around with this ruined one before starting again.
    Its rather tricky trying to work out how much gas to oxygen you need and very different from the Sievert, Im guessing its just practise?

Many years ago I inadvertently melted a large brass tap using a gas and oxygen mixture. As it was miles from any suppliers, I was in the dog house. I haven't ventured down that route since. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Well its very hot…..
    Melted a hole in the edge of the cuff with it last night
    I don't mind too much tbh as I already had all my christmas orders posted out so less rushed now at least and can play around with this ruined one before starting again.
    Its rather tricky trying to work out how much gas to oxygen you need and very different from the Sievert, Im guessing its just practise?
    I found it was trial and error at first with the Little torch Sarah, generally needing less gas pressure than you would think. Propane on first and add oxygen once lit.

And oxygen off first, then gas off.