Thread: 2 Little questions that are driving me ever so slightly mad...

Default 2 Little questions that are driving me ever so slightly mad...

Hello wise ones,

As I've introduced myself before, I am a trainee who has had around 8 months experience...so my knowledge is rather limited, so I am here to ask two things that are my new itches :

I've recently seen a "New" line of finger prints in Silver heartsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	fp.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	8433

I get how to do everything except THE thing....How do I make a finger print in the silver ?

Also, one thing that I am really stumped over is finding a book that explains how to capture very good photos of my bits I make. I have taken a few nice pics but having a book that explains things in detail is something I just can't seem to find.

I only really want basics like how to capture a sparkle in a Diamond or which colour background brings out which stones/metals the best. I have read somewhere that photographing on a Yellow background is the best when photographing Emeralds, but I'd just like a book that explains these things without trying to convince me that I need to spend thousands and I need to really hire a professional...Afterall, I'm only turning out basic practise pieces.

Many thanks for reading this

Hi, I leave the finger print answer to those who do finger print jewellery. But for photography there is tons of information on line. Once you start reading about it you build up a picture of what is required so to speak.

Metal acts as a mirror, so the basics are an inexpensive light cube to diffuse the light and two or more daylight lamps. For sparkling faceted stones you need an additional daylight lamp with multiple LEDs.
    I was lucky to find a clamp on one in Ryness for very little money, but they must be of similar colour temperature to the other lamps.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ph...vBFMmNUZiym-AB Lots to read. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 11-12-2015 at 11:10 PM.

My guess is the fingerprint is made from silver clay, dont use it myself but a friend does. I will ask her later, we are having lunch together.

The silver fingerprint charm in the picture is probably made from the silver clay type stuff (Art Clay Silver / PMC) that you can buy from Cooksons amongst other places.
    Some people take the fingerprint directly into a piece of silver clay that has been rolled out to a specific thickness, cut to the required shape, dried, fired and finished.

Most people take the fingerprint impression using a 2 part silicone impression material, then add to the silver clay later - That way you take the wiggly child out of the equation
    It usually comes in a kit with a pot of blue compound and a pot of white compound and is skin safe even for tiny babies.

Mix equal amounts / weights of the blue and white together until a uniform light blue colour is achieved.

Quickly roll into a smooth ball and press the preferred finger lightly , but firmly onto the surface to produce the fingerprint.

There will be no residue transferred to the finger. Set aside for 5+ minures to allow it to set.
    Last edited by Lucie; 12-12-2015 at 01:03 PM.

Forgot to add:
    Some of the silver clay people might be better to advise you on what they use to "get the fingerprint out" of the mould (make a positive version of the fingerprint impression), but I vaguely seem to remember that you can use resin.
    Something like this http://www.metalclay.co.uk/alumilite...t-resin-454ml/

Give them a call - They should be able to advise.

Hope that's helpful