Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jewellery Light Box

Default Jewellery Light Box

Does anyone have one of these or know anything about this sort of lighting system? http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-997-1203

I'm going to have a completely new all singing, all dancing website and of course, my photography is letting me down. I've found a good photographer (I think) who is going to do some lifestyle type test shots for me but the cost for a day's shoot is eye watering. I'm thinking that I may get her to do the main images for each item and take the rest myself.

I'm a hopeless photographer, so need all the help I can get. I take all my photos using the automatic macro setting, which I know isn't helping. Everything has to be lifestyle and I'm just using some small coloured wooden bricks as props. I'm not sure whether those light boxes are designed for such images.

May I ask what camera you use Carole? I must admit that I have never used a light box so I cannot help you there, I take all of my photos using white and coloured cards to direct the light. If I was suggesting a decent small reasonably cheap camera I would suggest taking a look at the Panasonic Lumix FZ200, I use an older Lumix FZ45, both cameras have a Leica lens.

I took this photo of a butterfly sitting on a Magnolia bloom on Monday using my Lumix FZ45, not jewellery but it gives an idea of the quality of the Leica lens.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	121 Butterfly on Magnolia, Savill Garden 23.3.15.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	7535

James

we have one of these and love it. Prob not as good as having a pro photographer but then couldn't afford the time or money that that would take! We pop small props in ours for lifestyle photos and it works fine We also use the macro setting on our camera too (although this is more hubby's department than mine!).

That's a lovely image James and I always admire your photography. I have a Canon DSLR and I can't afford anything different at the moment. I don't think it's the camera - it's the person using it!

Thanks Melanie, that's really useful information.

After I posted this, I had a look around and found that Andrew Berry has done a video on that lightbox. I'm very tempted.

What with the new website, new photography, business advisor, new display for shows, that will wipe out all my profit for this year. Ah well, you have to speculate to accumulate!

Just replied to this once & deleted it (Doh!)

I bought one of these after going through 4 professional photographers and being really disappointed with the results (and the amount of wasted money).
    I love the convenience, as I can take it off the shelf & it's good to go.

I bought this and a Nikon 3200. I found a tripod and set of grey cards (Amazon) also helped a lot.

I still do have to edit everything in GIMP, so it doesn't take all of the work away, but definitely the best photographs I've ever taken (considering how utterly rubbish I am with a camera)

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post

I'm going to have a completely new all singing, all dancing website and of course, my photography is letting me down. I've found a good photographer (I think) who is going to do some lifestyle type test shots for me but the cost for a day's shoot is eye watering.
    Can I make a suggestion? I know you have at least one groovy young woman working with you (she's a friend of my youngest) who has a number of friends who are keen instagram-ers. Lots of them produce really good images (I know what you mean about cost of 'lifestyle' shoots plus they often look boring). A barter system might get you better and more interesting shots which are genuine lifestyle images. Plus the exposure via social media could be priceless. One thing I've noticed is that the fashion and design photography that really stands out is in that grain. It might be worth thinking about.

I think Tabby has one of those Carole. Personally I'd go with the Lumix which would cost the same. I have one but not the same number as mentioned and we take amazing photos of jewellery and wildlife with mine. You can then tweak it on the computer if necessary.

Have you seen the light boxes on Amazon Carole? with this one you could photograph necklaces on a display necklace bust unit. http://www.amazon.co.uk/SANOTO-Profe...DTJEYMSRK62SX4 also it's half the cost of the one you mentioned.

James

You're all amazing. Thanks for the replies.

Lucie (or is it Sophia?) and Caroline your photos are fab.

James, those light boxes look good, thanks.

Liz, I didn't know you knew the lovely Caroline, though I did wonder. She's off travelling I think, unless she's back now. It's a good idea though.

Mmm, lots to think about.

It's Lucie lol.
    Sophia & Alexander my eldest 2 little ones - Luckily, I named the business before babies 3 and 4 came along or the domain name would be ridiculous!
    Thank you for your lovely comment. Good luck with the website. x