Thread: Apprentice learning the art of goldsmithing

Default Apprentice learning the art of goldsmithing

Hi, im currently working as an apprentice, learning all aspects of bench work inc manufacturing and repairs. I was recommended to come on here by two fellow goldsmiths that i work with who also use this site, they said if you ever have a question the answer is always here.......and believe me i always have a question lol
    iv also been peer pressured into entering the design of the month, although i hate showing my work at the moment as i dont think its up to the standard yet and after looking back at past entries im a bit hesitant, but we all have to start somewhere.

Welcome Craig. Please join in, ask away and also contribute what you have learned at the bench.
    BTW dont let them send you out for a box of holes for jump rings. Dennis.

Welcome Craig, as Dennis said if we can help we will. I served my apprenticeship a long time ago so I am sure that a lot of things have changed as an apprentice and I am sure that we will all be interested in hearing what you are learning at the bench.

James

Yes welcome from me too, mostly self taught with a starting help from a ten week (one night a week) course at a local college. You can pick up a lot of info from here, the experienced guys are always willing to share their knowledge.

Welcome from me too
    Try & learn some setting method/theory even if you don't do any yourself...you'll make better if you understand how other areas work.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Hi Craig,

I am sure your work is wonderful - if you are creating visual things, the only way to get them seen is to share. My work varies, but I don't mind comments to help it improve. Longest journey mostly on my own in this area, but love it so much. Every day is still a school day for me still, but happy to help if I can.

Hi Craig and welcome.
    Like many others on this forum I'm self taught along with attendance at various short courses.
    Some of the best advice and help I've had has been from the good people on this forum and one or two of my worst jewellery nightmares have been overcome with their help.
    Don't be shy about showing your work. I've never seen a derogatory or unhelpful comment!
    All the best
    Tim