Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sparkle/sparkly texture using graver?

Default Sparkle/sparkly texture using graver?

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone familiar with gravers/chisels could give me some insight or suggestions. I'm trying to achieve a textured sparkly pattern on flat/curved metal. I know its possible, having seen a texture which looked almost as if the metal was sprinkled with sparkles and was told it was made by hand. Unfortunately I didn't ask more about the actual technique, only meeting the man in passing...

I wish I had a picture to show you want I mean, as its hard to explain.

I did some experiments with a round graver and sort of raised beads all nearby each other which was of similar in appearance in sparkliness, but my guess is that the original texture was done with a hand piece or hammer & chisel vs raising individual beads. My texture came out more "pokey" and less "chunky".

I was thinking maybe a sort of faceted and highly polished mini 'spike' with a hammer/handpiece driven in at multiple angles? Does anyone know if I'm on the right track or can give any advice?

Thanks so much
    - Emily

If you use a "mini spike" don't make it too small & sharp otherwise you'll be doing a kind of stipple which will darken the metal..this is what engravers do with the negative space to give contrast.
    I've used the edge of a small bearing cutter in a close random manner in the past to texture, followed by a brass brush wheel to brighten...would that do it?
    You'll have to experiment on a bit of scrap.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 10-12-2015 at 05:34 AM.

Are you sure it wasn't made by texturing in a rolling mill with sandpaper? It would be faster, but not ordered

Yes but put it in an envelope to protect your mill from grit.
    Another low tech. method is to use a frosting wheel on your motor/flex shaft. Medium (blue) is best, but wear eye protection and use a slow speed. Dennis.

The thread title says 'using graver' but as its a question, I'm going to throw in the use of the foredom hammer handpiece as a possibility.

don't make it too small & sharp otherwise you'll be doing a kind of stipple
    Ah yes, thanks for the tip. I tried making one out of an old drill bit, but in my hurry didn't do a proper job so haven't figured out if this is a valid avenue yet. How many digs/hits to the metal do you think a tool like this would take before needing a resharpen again (with sterling)? Its not so much the cutting action that I think I need, but the shiny metal to metal contact.

texturing in a rolling mill with sandpaper
    The texture was more like old popcorn ceilings, but with random facets of shiny - as if the two attached pictures had a sparkly, textured baby.. The finish was also was applied to a curved (and not anticlastic/forged) surface. Another thought is some sort of chiseled texture that is then burnished but I think the shiny facets were not all on the same plane.

frosting wheel
    The texture was more chunky and less frosted, I'm afraid :S

foredom hammer handpiece
    Yes I was thinking possibly something along those lines ..

Thanks for your thoughts all, I feel like a dog with a bone with this one. I'll keep experimenting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	-popcorn-ceiling-1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	8436

Name:	silver-sparkle.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	8437
    - Emily

As Dennis suggests, some kind of rough diamond rotary burr might be easier & quicker followed by a burnish/brush to get the burrs down abit.
    Hammering will be tedious & noisy work to cover a biggish area.

Other possibilities might be some form of chemical etching, or perhaps granulation - fine grains of high carat gold, fine silver or Argentium can be fused to the surface of a sheet just by playing a flame over them. I don't think it's possible with sterling, only with metals that fuse readily to themselves or each other. A technique I've seen but not yet tried myself is fine gold on Argentium, followed by LoS or similar, so you end up with sparkly gold granules on a dark background.
    Alan

I'd suggest use a Foredom hammer handpiece too with a diamond tipped anvil in it.

If you search under the show and tell section you'll see a ring I did using this technique some time ago.

Cheers,

Nick

I use my Faro hammer handpiece for texturing, I use hammerheads that I shape myself.

Name:	38a Hammer headpiece,shaped hammerheads and textures.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	8449

James