Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made this week

Default Made this week

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd share what I've made this week. These are made using sterling and Argentium silver. The stones are CZ's and abalone shell respectively.

Hope you like.

Thanks for looking! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1449668518767.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	8422Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1449668538110.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	8423

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1449668422562.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	8421

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

very nice!!

The one where the wire splits, do you just saw down the half way mark of the ring or is that some kind of soldered on construct?
    They look great aswell!

Quote Originally Posted by sam.k View Post
    The one where the wire splits, do you just saw down the half way mark of the ring or is that some kind of soldered on construct?
    They look great aswell!
    The first one with the Abalone shell is 2 separate rings, textured first, then soldered at an angle. The second one with the clear CZ is just sawn then filed.

Last edited by metalmagic; 09-12-2015 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks for the comments. I'll be making more as time permits!

Nice work. I'm curious as to which is Argentium - also how you find it to work with compared to traditional sterling, and whether you've been soldering or fusing it.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    Nice work. I'm curious as to which is Argentium - also how you find it to work with compared to traditional sterling, and whether you've been soldering or fusing it.
    Alan
    Hi Alan,

The Argentium is the top pic. With the large Abalone shell. You can't really tell from the pics but the Argentium is much brighter.

I find it nicer to work with as it's a little softer and it doesn't fire scale so much under heating. 935 as opposed to 925 for sterling.

I've been soldering it too. I ordered Argentium solder when I bought it from cookson gold. I'll definitely be using more of it in the future.

Paul

For silver I now use Argentium only, but I don't know many others who do so I'm always curious to hear about people's experiences with it, especially those who are used to working with traditional sterling. I've got several questions... Sorry if it's a bit of a list - just ignore me if too much!

Quote Originally Posted by metalmagic View Post
    the Argentium is much brighter
    Have you had any lying around long enough to be able to compare how well it retains its brightness? Do you do anything (eg heat treatment for passivation) to encourage tarnish resistance?

it's a little softer
    Presumably you mean in fully annealed condition - do you find any difference in the way it work hardens? Have you tried age-hardening any finished pieces by heating? For most purposes it's probably not a necessary step, since work hardening will be enough - just wondering if you've tried it and whether you see any appreciable difference.

it doesn't fire scale so much under heating
    Have you seen any evidence at all of firescale? Peter Johns (the inventor of Argentium) tells me that while they advertise 935 as firescale-resistant he reckons it is in practice completely firescale-proof. You might get surface blackening, especially on first exposure to the flame, but it shouldn't penetrate beneath the surface.

I've been soldering it
    Have you tried fusing it direct? Almost all my joints are fused - I only use solder on very small/delicate parts where there's a risk of melting more than the joint itself. I use 960, but 935 should be a bit easier still for fusing. Peter Johns again: "935 is easier to fuse for the craft jeweller because it has a wider melting range than the 960. A wider melting range gives you more time to heat in the fusing zone without risking full melt down."

Alan

Have you had any lying around long enough to be able to compare how well it retains its brightness?

The answer to this is no. I've only been using it a few weeks. I can tell a difference when it's polished and when it's been in the ultrasonic cleaner. I suppose time will tell.

Presumably you mean in fully annealed condition - do you find any difference in the way it work hardens?

Yes in fully annealed condition. I haven't noticed any difference in work hardening personally.

Have you seen any evidence at all of firescale? It is in practice completely firescale-proof.

I haven't seen any evidence of this at all. And I would back up the claim that it appears to be firescale proof. Yes I have seen a little surface blackening, bit this is minimal.

Have you tried fusing it direct?

Personally I have never tried fusing. This may be a technique for the future that I will look into. As I work night shifts as a truck driver, and I am completely self taught in jewellery making, I will be open to trying new skills as time permits

Alan[/QUOTE]

I hope this answers your queries?

I love working with silver and when I saw the Argentium I impulse bought it. I'd love to work with gold one day but the cost is prohibitive.

Paul

Paul - thanks for taking the trouble to answer. I'm also self-taught, though my R&D has focused increasingly on Argentium. Being a relatively new alloy, there's very little about it in books dealing with silversmithing (or with precious metals more generally) but there's quite a lot scattered about on the internet and I'm building up a good collection of information and links. I'd definitely recommend exploring fusing - once you've grasped the basics it's actually easier than soldering and you can achieve neater, cleaner, stronger joints. Just as a simple demo, have a look at this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8I0XglPmuM . I find (at least with 960) it helps to brush a little Auflux on the joint itself - or this stuff, which appears to be very similar to Auflux: http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-997-6425
    Alan