Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any engravers?

Here's two files to help with sharpening gravers. The pdf should print out the exact size needed.I used my computer engraver to mark the lines on a piece of laminate flooring,but if you print out the plan and cut out the lines,it should work just as well.

I checked the angles with a digital gauge.
    Here's what i use to sharpen,6" DIAMOND SHARPENING WHETSTONE STONE SET CHISEL KNIFE on eBay (end time 03-Sep-10 18:47:25 BST)
    you can finish the heel with fine wet and dry

These gravers are just right for my graver,but you may have different.The holder is really hand for holding them in place,for sharpening
    5 tungsten carbide square Watchmakers Lathe Gravers on eBay (end time 12-Sep-10 07:29:07 BST).
    I've drawn up the shapes of some other point guides,but haven't tried them yet.
    I'm also working on making dual angle fixture,that does the same thing as this
    http://www.powertechtool.com/images/...graving5-3.jpg

It's a damn ugly looking thing though
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Standard 45 degree point.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

That looks very similar to Steve Lindsey's sharpening system... As for the diamond stones, I've tried using the cheaper ones and found that they weren't terribly flat, and that small tools (like gravers) tend to catch in the cutouts - so went for some diamond credit cards instead. How are you getting around those? I'm not sure I'd suggest carbide to anyone starting out - they're not the most friendly of things to sharpen (well, unless you've got a power hone... )!

Don't know if you've seen, but that EBay seller also does HSS 3/32 squares that are spot on for both the GRS systems & the Airgraver.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    That looks very similar to Steve Lindsey's sharpening system... As for the diamond stones, I've tried using the cheaper ones and found that they weren't terribly flat, and that small tools (like gravers) tend to catch in the cutouts - so went for some diamond credit cards instead. How are you getting around those? I'm not sure I'd suggest carbide to anyone starting out - they're not the most friendly of things to sharpen (well, unless you've got a power hone... )!

Don't know if you've seen, but that EBay seller also does HSS 3/32 squares that are spot on for both the GRS systems & the Airgraver.
    Yes Peter.it's a total ripoff of the lyndsey guides,with a bit of measuring I managed to get it working.
    The diamond sharpeners work . I go from side to side and then in between the holes. I think your credit card type,would be much easier to use,but I'm to cheap for them.
    I've got quite a few gravers,that I've experimented with,these really thin ones work out quite nice once i've ground them down. I've got a microscope,that I've used in the past,and the smaller the graver the better,I think.

I'm afraid it's back to the drawing board with the dual angle fixture.It's either 100% right or it's useless!