Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aaargh - rust!

Default Aaargh - rust!

My studio is in an ancient, unheated building. The kids and I have been taking it in turns so have not been in much over the last two weeks. In that rainy, cold, damp time, some of my tools are starting to look rusty (bezel stakes, new mandrel, hammers, rolling mill rollers etc) I know I'm taking a couple of weeks off over Christmas -if I WD40, sand, clean, oil, wipe and store in a good toolbox, will they be ok? I don't normally store stuff as I'm constantly using different bits, so they live on my various walls/benches. Any tips for things that can't be boxed? (larger bolted tools). Apols if this sounds daft

The thing that I have found to work the best is Boeshield T-9 Bicycle Lubricant . You can find it at bicycle shop here in the US. It leaves a thin wax coating on the metal and it is easy to apply and a little bit goes a long way. I hope this helps.

The problem with greasy tools is that they interfere with all the stages of making jewellery. As the enemy is humidity, I would investigate room de-humidifiers. Dennis.

http://www.dehumidifier-reviews.co.uk/

I run a dehumidifyer every night for a couple of hours at this time of year. If the temperature is low, you need to consider a non condensing system, I think this system uses a silica impregnated fan in place of the condensing unit, and have it drain directly into a sink or it will shut off in no time when the tank is full.
    Best of luck.
    Les.
    Last edited by art925; 04-12-2015 at 06:02 AM.
    Poor old Les

Dehumidifier and Sentry Tuf Cloths, with vapour phase rust inhibitors in toolboxes.

Thanks - unfortunately I cannot run power when I am not there but will try the other parts!

In the absence of power, you could try making a salt dehumidifier - a sieve of salt over a bucket? I doubt it will take all the moisture out of the air, but it might help a bit.

Also, how are you heating your space? If you're using a gas bottle heater that will be pumping water out into the air, along with the heat - I had only a calor heater last year and had so much condensation from it.

Hi Les, good to hear from you. Hope you are well, Dennis.

All ' s good and well here thanks Dennis. I have been sitting on the sidelines of the forum for some time, Lydia inspired me, I hate it when tools rust.
    Les.
    Poor old Les

Quote Originally Posted by marna View Post
    In the absence of power, you could try making a salt dehumidifier - a sieve of salt over a bucket? I doubt it will take all the moisture out of the air, but it might help a bit.
    Caution on adding salt to the equation since it will diffuse into the atmos and will only speed rusting.

However, it might not be a bad idea if (and I'm not sure what the active ingredient is) there is a less caustic alternative - I've got something similar from A cheap supermarket chain.

This may not be the solution for you, right now, but I spend all year collecting Silica gel and just include it along with my tools in a plastic wrap.