Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Threaded 2.35mm mandrels

Default Threaded 2.35mm mandrels

Does anyone happen to know where you can buy these sorts of mandrels at a significantly lower price than £2.72 each? I've bought the other kind of mandrel direct from China, paid about 10p per item, and they're perfectly OK, but I can't source the first kind of mandrel anywhere at what I'd consider a sensible price. I need about a dozen.

could you just buy some steel/ stainless steel bar cut it to length then put then in a cordless drill and use a die clamped in a holder in a vice to cut the thread wouldnt take long and would work out a lot cheaper if you have the time

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    could you just buy some steel/ stainless steel bar cut it to length then put then in a cordless drill and use a die clamped in a holder in a vice to cut the thread wouldnt take long and would work out a lot cheaper if you have the time
    Thanks for your answer.
    I might end up doing that. The pitch of the thread is clearly not going to be important anyway, and I don't really need the retaining nut for the cylindrical silicone polishers I want to use with them. I can't really understand why these very simple tools are not available cheaply on Ebay like the other type. Presumably there's just not the same demand for them.

Try Cousins Mark:
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/sc...ls?code=P1343M

But business to business rules apply, so no returns if you get the shank size wrong. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-12-2015 at 02:33 AM.

Grrr - I can't post URL's yet.

Cousins, as mentioned earlier, the top one on the (threaded tapered mandrel page) is exactly the same as the cookies one, but are 86p plus vat each if you are buying three or more.

Redroosteruk dot com sells in packs of four for £3.50 I think including vat, and postage is only £1.00 for three packs.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Maree Hart; 03-12-2015 at 12:03 PM.

ThE bay - rank by £+post

Happened to have bought one of these earlier today from Suttons in Birmingham. Paid £1.30 plus vat. Was there in person though - no idea how much the postage etc would be if you ordered online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the answers, everyone.

The problem with the suggestions is that all of them are still considerably more expensive than the second type of mandrel linked to above can be had for: as little as 10 pence each on Ebay.

Metalsmith, exhaustive searches on Ebay have been fruitless. I even contacted two Chinese sellers who sold the second type of mandrel to ask if they also sold the first kind of mandrel, but the answer was no. The first kind of mandrel I linked to is simply not available anywhere, as far as I can tell, at a price that is remotely close to that of the second type of mandrel I've linked to above, and the reason for this disparity is a mystery to me; manufacturing costs cannot be appreciably different.

A short follow-up.

As per your advice (sort of), Josef, I bought a length of stainless M2.5 threaded bar, thinking I could cut it into short sections then file away the threads on the shanks a little to bring the 2.5mm diameter down to the requisite 2.35mm.

Things turned out better than this though; the bar's diameter is exactly 2.35mm, so all I had to do was cut it into sections, thread on my drum polishers, and away I went. It works out at 20p per mandrel as opposed to Cooksons £2.72.

I don't quite follow that Mark. If it's sanding drums you are referring to, then the cavity in mine is more like 3+ mm in diameter and require a tapered screw mandrel.

I have also scared myself a couple of times by putting my foot down inadvertently and having it bend to a right angle at speed, due to centrifugal force. Dennis.