Thread: Help for a pentacle?

Default Help for a pentacle?

Hi!
    I've just had a bespoke order from someone who wants a 5cm diameter pentalce pendant with a circle around the star, a little bit like this:

I am planning to use the fretwork technique and just cut from a circle (5cm diameter). Does anyone know about other techniques to achieve a pentacle (using wire, etc) and does my plan seem unrealistic for any reason?
    Sorry, I already said before but Mocha and I are beginners, so we really need your advice!
    Thank in advance!!
    Mochi

I'd carve it with gravers first, then pierce out the voids.
    You could pierce it then sculpt it with files & rifflers.
    Or - as you say - make it in wire then build a surround for it.
    Or carve one in wax and cast it.

Or...

Thanks!
    I think I'll go for the fretwork after carving like you said (thanks for the tip) and then solder a piece of wire all around it (so that I don't have to pierce round shapes).
    Thanks again! I'll show you the finished thing if the customer confirms his order and I get to make it.

Mochi.

Will be good to see. Why not post some step by step photos as you go so we can all learn? Good luck.
    Em

We will! We'll probably post the pictures in another thread, though (something more relevant, such as in the "show your work" section). By the way, Mocha and I have changed our minds since the first opst and we will do it all in wire!
    See ya!

If you're going to pierce out - a little tip that we teach the students at YSOJ. Put the design on paper - double sided tape on the back. Peel off and stick to your metal. Be sure to drill a hole inside your lines and away you go... cut out then file/profile. You could do the whole design that way but would need to be very accurate on your outer circle. Alternatively, you could just pierce out your star and solder into a ring... but then you'll have to be accurate with your star cutting (all 'arms' the exact same length so centres correctly....).