Thread: Brass brush for silver clay

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Brass brush for silver clay

Hi, I've been making silver fingerprint jewellery for a few years and after firing use a brass brush to bring up the silver before sanding. The bristles on my brush were getting rather bent so I ordered a new one but when it came the bristles were much softer than on my old one. I was wondering if other people tend to use stiffer or softer brushes? Although the softer is more comfortable to use it didn't seem to bring up the shine as well as the other one. Sometimes I've even wondered if it's really necessary to use the sanding sponges because the stiff brush made the silver so shiny! Any advice would be gratefully received

I'd suggest sanding sponges (I might have to look up what they are) are for sanding - i.e. an abrasive

Brass bristle brushes will add a shine with out being abrasive - the brass is softer than the silver, so effectively just polish what is there.

Sorry I should have made it more clear. The brass brush is used to smooth away the white surface of newly fired silver clay and then sanding sponges are used for polishing. What I wanted to know was whether people tend to use stiff or soft bristled brass brushes. Many thanks!

The white powdery surface of silver when heated and the pickled occurs after soldering too, so I am well used to brushing up my pieces with a wet and soapy brass brush.

Often that is all the finishing they get. Some suppliers state the diameter of the brass wires and offer several grades, but usually I am content with what they have at Cookson.

My present brush has four rows and the wires measure 0.12mm. I also have a three row brass suede brush from a shoe repairer, and those wires measure 0.15mm which is noticeably more scratchy. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The white powdery surface of silver when heated and the pickled occurs after soldering too, so I am well used to brushing up my pieces with a wet and soapy brass brush. Often that is all the finishing they get... Dennis.
    Just that.

I have a small fine-bristled brass brush-bit that was intended for a dremel (type-machine) that I find is just great for soldered woven wire after a pickle bath.