Thread: Gas regulators

Default Gas regulators

Hi all
    Not been on the forum for a while. Looks like I need to catch up on some posts!

My question though. Sorry if this has been covered, but I have just invested in a brand new smiths mini torch and I was wondering what sort of regulators I'll need for the gas bottles?

There seems to be quite a few of these around so does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Hi Paul,
    I get my Oxygen from here; http://www.adamsgas.co.uk/hobby-gas-...-bottle-detail and I get my propane from a garden centre. I use a twin dial BOC oygen regulator on the oxy cylinder, one dial tells me the cylinder capacity and the other is adjustable for pressure to the torch. The regulator on the propane cylinder is also adjustable like one of these;http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lpg-Hose-Reg...pane+regulator
    I use a twin outlet attachment on the propane regulator's gas outlet so that I can attach my smiths torch and my Sievert torch to the same propane cylinder outlet. The oxygen just feeds the smiths torch.
    I have never used the Oxygen generators so cannot comment on that method.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43b- Jims workshop gas.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	8378

James

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Default Gas regulators

I have a Smiths LittleTorch and use an Oxycon rather than cylinders. For the propane tank I have a flash back arrestor upstream of the regulator. The regualtor is adjustable from 0 to 4bar - the tips for the Smiths Little Torch seem to be happy at about 1 to 1.5bar so I would ensure that you get one that is "low pressure" (0 to 4 bar) - the high pressure ones go from 2 to 10bar and are not really suitable for the Smiths Little Torch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BarryM; 29-11-2015 at 11:56 AM.
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Thanks for the advice there.

Sounds pretty easy to get set up. I'll get ordering again!

I'll have it up and running in a week or so.

Thanks again