Thread: Too many subforums - proposing a merger of some

Default Too many subforums - proposing a merger of some

as it is right now, the forum list is a bit of a mess and it is really hard to find where you actually put your post to see if there were any replies, i think a lot of the subforums could do with being merged together because there's a lot of repetition and entire subforums that can be replaced with stickied threads at the top of another forum. i set them all out in word and had a look at what was what and i came up with this as a rough idea, it's open to interpretation ofc but i reckon right now the whole place is spread way way too thin and i find it really tough to use =/ i hope this is okay and not stepping on toes or anything

Merge Into Subforum "Rules and Site Feedback"
    • Suggestions
    • Forum News
    • Forum Rules

Merge into "General Chat"
    • Introduce yourself
    • General Chat
    • Off the topic
    • Show off your work here!
    • Bench and Workshop Gallery

Merge into "Tricks of the Trade"
    • Craft and beading
    • Silversmithing
    • Jewellery making
    • Advice
    • Got a question?
    • Hints, Tips & Tutorials

Merge into "Business Centre"
    • Business and Marketing
    • How to market my jewellery?
    • Trade Events

Merge into "Student's Lounge"
    • Jewellery courses, workshops and tutorials
    • Students lounge
    • First timers

Merge Into one forum, "Cookson Products"
    • Scrap gold
    • Metal and scrap prices
    • Findings
    • Bullion
    • Precious Metal Clay and Art Clay
    • Gemstones
    • Beading
    • Tools

Merge into "Product Help"
    • Wishlist
    • Customer Service - Ask the Experts
    • Help Cooksongold help you!!!

Merge Into one forum "Cookson News"
    • Freepost events
    • Latest E-mails from Cooksongold
    • FREE monthly mini catalogues
    • Jewellery Making Blog
    • Twitter - Follow Cooksongold
    • New products

Merge into one forum "Offers and Competitions"
    • Offers
    • Competitions

Dano, course its not stepping on toes! This is a democratic board - as long as your remember that you are serfs and Nic and me are somewhat better

Merging has been suggested before as some folk find it difficult to keep track of their questions and answers. Personally, I just use the new posts tab, which is a catchall that makes sure I get my replies (should there be any, gulp). Of course, that doesn't make my way right.

We'll see what the general concensus is shall we?
    Di x

I use the new posts tab too. It wouldn't make much difference to me either way. I just love this site as I've learned so much and everyone is so friendly. I've been on other sites where the moderator jumps down your throat in quite a nasty way for mentioning other suppliers etc. I just feel at home here.

I think Dano has a point - though he's perhaps been a bit too radical!

I also use new posts, but when I'm starting a new thread, I have often had to debate where it should be, and I suspect others are too. We've also ended up with questions duplicated for the same reason.

I suspect with a bit of combining and renaming, we could happily lose half the current categories without really noticing a change.

I do agree with Carole though - I've rarely found any board where I feel as comfortable. Yay us!

Default Forum Structure

Good morning all,

Nice to know you all feel so comfortable with the forum board Thanks for the suggestion Dano, however I feel the structure of the forum best serves the majority of forum members at this current time. As it stands from a category point of view, the forum is not over-congested compared to many others out there. I also feel the number of categories in place is appropriate to pinpoint the genre of people's conversation as opposed to much fewer generic categories.

I claim this due to the lack of requests for change and the fantastic response the Cooksongold forum has received to date so would resist any wholesale changes. Thanks for your input.

Well i love it love it love it, and you have to check in most days to see whats going down but i think that is why it is such a nice forum xxxx

I agree, a little bit of searching enables me to find most topics, and if I get stuck someone always manages to find the link for me when I ask.

I would hate the forum to loose it's relaxed friendly, style and become too formal and orgainised, I just don't think it's what we are about. Not that I would object to a little tidying now and then but on the whole 'if it ain't broke don't try and fix it'

Annie xXx

All things are possible - if you look at them the right way!