Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pliers!

Default Pliers!

Just wondered as I have ordered new half rounds from cookies and for some reason assumed they would be sprung!

My previous pliers all have been so I guess I'm used to them (some no longer have a functioning Spring though!)

Do you prefer plain or Sprung? Are there any benefits/disadvantages to one or the other?

Before I decide whether to send them back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most 'traditional' pliers are unsprung.
    Most hobby or craft pliers are sprung.

I prefer either completely unsprung (and often remove springs from pliers which have them) or very lightly sprung (in which case I remove one spring!) I tend to just use my ring finger to open the handles. I particularly dislike springs on parallel jawed pliers and always remove these.

I don't have any sprung pliers either, I think I have one pair with a sprung strip of metal rather than a spring but I inherited them. Using unsprung pliers just comes automatically and I can't see any reason for buying them any other way

Springs tangle on my plier rack.

If they come with springs, I pull the springs off with erm.... pliers. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhindered View Post

Do you prefer plain or Sprung? Are there any benefits/disadvantages to one or the other?
    I prefer unsprung. Sprung pliers exert an influence over your closing action that I don't want. I have a pair with the metal strip, which grated in both senses of the word. They're a little better for lubing with beeswax, but I'll use my unsprung pair by preference.

I like sprung ones.

I like them lightly sprung, I glue small neodymium magnets on to get the effect I want.

Quote Originally Posted by moletteuk View Post
    I like them lightly sprung, I glue small neodymium magnets on to get the effect I want.
    reversed poles presumably?

Yes, reversed poles. It works a treat, not really any noticable resistance to closing, but just enough force to pop them open when you let go. Probably not worth the hassle for occasional use pliers, but fantastic for chain mail.