Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everbrite protectaclear

Default Everbrite protectaclear

Hello, I've purchased some protectaclear, just wanted people's thoughts on application, I will be coating pendants, charms etc little things.
    Tia
    Ella x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ella,
    Can I ask what you are hoping to achieve with the protectaclear and what type of pieces you are using it on??

Hopefully then you will get some more informative answers

Jill xx

Default Everbrite protectaclear

Hi Tabby so I want to protect the items from future tarnish and the air basically to ensure that it doesn't go a funny colour x

It's for silver I will be using pmc3 xx

Thanks for clarifying Ella. There are people who have more experience of PMC but it isn't usual to coat silver per se, unfortunately tarnish goes with the metal and the atmosphere. Someone will no doubt come along to advise but it's quiet so people are probably busy with Christmas orders

Hi Ella,
    II would agree with Caroline, you wouldn't usually coat silver in anything to protect it from tarnishing, again though I am not a pmc user, so cannot advise regarding this. I would fear though that it would chip or get damaged and look patchy and then make polishing the piece in the future more difficult. Hopefully someone can offer you more certain advice

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    it isn't usual to coat silver per se, unfortunately tarnish goes with the metal and the atmosphere
    Its my understanding that it is the 7.5% copper fraction of 925 (Sterling) silver that causes the tarnish. I don't believe you should varnish fine silver (depending which pmc you have). Anyway, Sterling silver is also normally pretty well resistant to tarnish and a very occasional polish with a soft cloth suffices. Save the everbrite for copper.

Sterling silver will react to different acids in the skin, perfume, I've seen it go black on some people after a couple of wears? Leave a piece of jewellery lying in the air for a length of time and it will go black. I used to endlessly have to polish the silver cutlery and the precious silver tea pot unless it was wrapped in cling film. You are lucky if you haven't found sterling to tarnish Metalsmith

I kiln fire all my PMC3 at 900 deg C for 2 hours and unless I've intentionally added a patina using Liver of Sulphur, I've never had tarnish problems on any of my fired fine silver pieces made from PMC3.