Thread: sharpening blunt burrs

Default sharpening blunt burrs

Hi Guys,

I seem to be investing in allot of burrs and some how manage to make them blunt after using them 3-4 times. I begin by drilling my initial hole and make sure the burrs are well oiled. So not sure what else I could be doing wrong. It's getting bit costly now to keep buying new pieces. So wondering if there is a way I can sharpen the existing burrs that I have. Also, if any one can give me any tips on how I can prolong the life of my burrs I would definitely appreciate it.

Thank you
    sofina

Hi Sofia,

To attempt to answer your question, I have to make a lot of suppositions, so please correct me if I am barking up the wrong tree so to speak.
    First of all, I presume that you are talking about drills for making holes. They do get blunt, but if quickly, then:

1. Are you using them in reverse, or backwards and forwards with one of those old jewellers drills with string?
    They are meant to be used only in a forward direction, that is clockwise when looking down at the metal.

2. Are you drilling very hard metal such as hard brass, or steel?

3. Is you machine very fast, or without speed control? You should use a medium to slow speed, which cuts without the tip changing colour.

They can be easily be re-sharpened with a high quality mounted diamond wheel such as Walsh TD160, with your handpiece supported horizontally on a block. The drill has two cutting edges. touch them gently and briefly on the wheel at the same angle and they will be sharp again.
    You might also manage by keeping the drill in your handpiece (but not running) and rubbing the end of the drill on a very fine sharpening stone. Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis; 14-11-2015 at 04:51 AM.

Hi Denise,

Sorry I should have mentioned I am referring to the stone setting burrs. I don't have an issue when the burrs are knew but I just can't keep them sharp enough for to long.

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Are you running the motor too fast? You only need a slow speed for burrs and you may be overheating them. Also only apply the burr for a few seconds then lift off, apply for a few seconds, lift off ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Quote Originally Posted by cartres View Post
    Hi Denise,

Sorry I should have mentioned I am referring to the stone setting burrs. I don't have an issue when the burrs are knew but I just can't keep them sharp enough for to long.
    Yes they blunt quickly unless run very slowly. Personally I get the hole almost right, by using the relevant ball burr and then only get it perfect by turning the expensive setting burr by hand in one of these: http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...iversal+handle.

You might need pliers to gently tighten them though. That way they last for months Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by cartres View Post
    Hi Guys,

I seem to be investing in allot of burrs and some how manage to make them blunt after using them 3-4 times.
    What does each "time" amount to in terms of running time, the amount and type of material cut? I've got setting burrs I've used 3 or 4 times on either silver or gold and there's no significant wear on their cutting edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    What does each "time" amount to in terms of running time, the amount and type of material cut? I've got setting burrs I've used 3 or 4 times on either silver or gold and there's no significant wear on their cutting edges.
    Hi are you talking about a lot of hole drilling or just a few , if it is hard metal just one hole can blunt the burr
    I drill many holes every day and found the best way to keep drills sharp as poss is to increase the drill size in small
    Amounts when increase hole size , so if before if you used two burr sizes to get to your hole size , try using 4-5 incrementing sizes , so your only enlarging the hole a small amount at a time and use lubricant (walshes) does a
    Aluminum drilling lubricant what I find to be very good , just don't get on your clothes it stinks.
    If you go to large to quick it will put a lot more pressure on burr and it will blunt very quick.
    Good luck.

diamondsetting4u.com
    Instagram. diamondsetting4u