Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Micromotor Choice!

I am now having a wobble again!....it's a big investment for me to get this micromotor... I have another questions for all you micromotor users!

How much of an impact does the torque actuallly have? The machine I have bought has 5.4N.CM whereas the Max Force has 7.8N.cm. I dont' even really knwo what that means, is that a big difference? Will this make a huge difference? Also, what is teh torque of the Foredom 1090, can't find it anywhere.

Also, the speed varies, so teh Foredom is 0-38000 rpm, but the URAWA is 3,500 to 35,000 rpm. Will this be a problem, the fact that it doesn't start from 0??

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I've got both the 1090 and a Saeshin; of the two I prefer the Saeshin by far. The 1090 is a pest because it only has one output port - you need to unplug & replug the two handpieces.
    The Saeshin has higher torque (it also has a higher output speed, but generally I don't go above 10k on polishing wheels). It's better balanced, although it's a heavier handpiece than the Foredom.

I know a number of jewellers who have a cheaper Saeshin - http://polishingjewellery.co.uk/acat...G.html#SID=145 - and are extremely pleased with them. It also helps that Moleroda can sort out servicing on them (including mine, which they don't actually carry).
    I'm very tempted by that cheaper session.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by camalidesign View Post
    How much of an impact does the torque actuallly have? The machine I have bought has 5.4N.CM whereas the Max Force has 7.8N.cm. I dont' even really knwo what that means, is that a big difference? Will this make a huge difference? Also, what is teh torque of the Foredom 1090, can't find it anywhere.
    Many of the manufacturers are a bit vague on what the actual torque output is. More is better up to a point - kind of depends on the work.

Also, the speed varies, so teh Foredom is 0-38000 rpm, but the URAWA is 3,500 to 35,000 rpm. Will this be a problem, the fact that it doesn't start from 0??
    The lowest I run is 3k, but the difference between 3k & 4k isn't much in use.

Don't worry, you'll love the thing

Hi Peter,

Yes, I know I should just relax and I'm sure I will love it. I was just thinking, "sh*t, I could have had a hammer handpiece AS WELL for the same money if I went for the Foredom".... And I guess the starting speed (of 3500 instead of 0) doesn't matter that much as the foot pedal is used to control the "startup" anyway, I'm thinking about driling for example where you want a low speed.

In what situations are the torque of most importance would you say?

Oh, and I did mention you to Amy, she said hi! She herself was going to get this micromotor when she upgrades apparently, so that's gotta be a good sign!

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Hi Kathryn,

The lady I spoke to (Amy) was saying that if you are upgrading from e.g. rotary tools like dremels or proxxon, or like me, an Axminster flexshaft, any decent micromotor will be a vast improvement. I just wanted mine to be "future proof" so that I can add a hammerpiece when I need it.

I think the cheaper one is very good too, Peter certainly seems to think so, he knows people who use it and are happy.

I will let you know what the URAWA is like, it shoudl get to me tomorrow, exciting!

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Sorry, another update to this! I have just received the confirmation email from Amy at Moleroda and it turns out that she has swapped the handle (listed on the web site 13A) to the one that would be the more suitable one (12A), which has a torque of 6.5N・cm and runs at 2000-20000. Sounds better!
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

My foredom is about 10 years old with brushes ( which I've changed twice )
    I'm on my second handpiece with a third as spare.
    Also with a hammer handpiece.

I've no idea what rpm It's running at any given time, but who cares...It's either too fast or not enough.
    It doesn't have alot of torque but It's not a big deal for me.

I do have it running manually at constant speed most of the time rather than using the pedal.

Overall It's been very reliable & a worthy buy.

No idea about the brushless version nor the other makes...they might be better but I don't think I'd need anything more.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 12-11-2015 at 07:13 PM.

Thanks Chris!
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Considering the foredom isn't much cheaper I'd tempted by that micromotor... However I'm not really making enough at home at the moment to justify it.

Been busy recently and not been on here for ages, but I thought I'd give some feedback on the Urawa micromotor I bought. It's this one I have:

http://www.polishingjewellery.co.uk/...r.html#SID=146 (this is just the motor,so you would need to get the handpiece to go with it, I have 12A)

I am REALLY happy wiht this machine, I use it ALL the time and the only time I would use my old Proxxon is if I don't have the 2.4mm shanks on something. It runs really smooth, very quiet and I find cutting seats for stone setting is really easy. So, on the whole I can really recommend this one. It's a fantastic all round machine.

Also, dealing with Moleroda was a great experience. Amy, the lady I spoke to is also a jeweller and so obviously knows what you need.

So, I can highly recommend both the company and the micromotor!

Cheers,
    Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com