Thread: gold soldering

Default gold soldering

Hello all,

I've been asked to mend my father in law's wedding band that he had to have cut off his finger after he broke it. Ouch! It was a clean cut I believe (haven't seen it yet) so I assume the edges should match no problem.

I have jewellery experience, predominantly silver, but I'm very rusty after taking a break for the last year. So I'd like to do the job, but I'm very nervous about getting this wrong. The last thing I want is to melt his wedding ring!

Could I trouble y'all for any advice you can offer, however basic, for doing this straightforward (for most) job? I'm hoping my small handheld blowtorch will be sufficient, as that's all I have access to these days. Should gold be treated much differently than silver? Any special techniques I should bear in mind?

Any advice appreciated. Treat me like a complete beginner.

Thanks lots!

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

ouch! hope all is well now?

If the joint isn't cut evenly, it may be best to see how much needs taking off, and then adding to make it the right size again.

Gold only needs heating at the point of where the soldering will take place. It heats up faster than silver - so do watch what is happening. Softer flame still works well. I have used mouth blow torches on gold and with a soft yellow flame still managed to solder the joint.

Clean joints, flux and heat.

Point to think about - It may be best to check if there is an original soldered joint. If there is, a little protection on the joint using ether a rouge mix or other stop out like tippex would be beneficial.

Ah, thank you! It had entirely escaped me that a previous solder joint could be vulnerable, thanks for pointing that out!

So there's no need to get the entire ring up to soldering temperature then? You just concentrate the heat on the join?

Oh, and does gold solder come in different carats? Does it matter what carat the ring is?

thanks so much.

Further to Wallaces reply:
    1. Gentle heating will show up a previous solder joint because a dark line will develop, unless the ring is cast and therefore seamless.
    2. The hallmark will tell you the carat. If no hallmark beware.
    3. The cheapest way to buy gold solder of the appropriate carat for a one off is as wire, and I would go for medium, or easy for peace of mind.
    4. If the ring has been damaged, it might need re-sizing ether by adding a piece, or stretching after soldering. Dennis.

If you don't have any gold solder it may be cheaper ( and less of a worry) to just take it to a jewellers and get them to do it?

Rather Cowardly Custard, though Sarah. Dennis.

haha, nah, I'm pretty sure I'll be reimbursed for any materials I need.

I'm capable of doing it, I'm just immensely rusty after having a long break (i decided that illustration was the true career for me and so have barely done any jewellery for the past year). I was concerned whether my handheld torch would be up to the job, because that's all I have access to, but when it's fully filled it's quite powerful for a little thing so hopefully it'll cope.

I'm obviously pretty nervous I'll accidentally trash the ring, and how I'll deal with that situation, but I'll have to put that aside and remember that I am capable!

Thank you all for your help!
    Last edited by madsally; 10-11-2015 at 09:32 AM.