Thread: Smiths Little Torch Question

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Default Smiths Little Torch Question

I bought the Smiths Little Torch and an Oxycon about a month or so ago and REALLY like it... so controllable from ultra fine flame to a really powerful one.
    My issue is with the Oxycon in a typical session I will use the torch maybe 6 - 12 times in a 4 hour period - is it better to turn the Oxycon off between uses or just leave it running the whole time - if I leave it running is it better to let the oxygen run free by opening the oxygen valve on the torch or close it??
    I asked the supplier and was told it made no difference whether I leave it running or not, excess Oxygen is just vented... but I assume it would shorten the time between services if it is continually running, or is it the frequency of the start up procedure that determines need for servicing??
    Any advice gratefully received so long as it is informed and not just a guess.
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

I guess you'd be best off checking with the original manufacturer of your particular model to see what they recommend. We have two 10 lpm oxycons that we use mainly for glassworking, one or both together depending on which torch(es) we're using at any one time. My understanding is that the "molecular sieve" that separates out nitrogen and oxygen does not wear out by running continuously, but that the compressor that pumps the air through can come to harm if switched on and off a lot. The advice I was given was to allow them to rest at least 15 minutes after switching off before switching on again. I was also told not to let the flow exceed the maximum on the volume indicator (a floating ball type on these), nor to close the valves off completely, either of which could harm the compressors. The molecular sieves definitely do not like dirt or moisture, so good clean filters are essential and they should not be run in damp or excessively humid conditions. Ours are housed indoors in a spare room which is dry and relatively dust-free, with the oxygen piped through a hole in the wall into our workshop, and we regularly run them for several hours at a time without switching off.
    Alan

Alan, very useful thanks - I like the background reasons WHY you should do these things based on HOW they work. It would seem that on balance it is better to leave it running if I intend to do some follow-on soldering.
    I take your point about about damp and dust my little workshop is ta the back of my car port and is not actually damp but can get quite humid. Not too dusty but I will take your point about keeping the filters clean.

On that last point, you probably have two filters - a coarse foam-type outer filter which should catch larger particles, and an inner one for screening out finer stuff. The outer one can be washed by hand - but essential to dry out thoroughly before refitting. The inner one is normally a sealed unit that needs replacing periodically.
    Alan

I have checked and it is as you describe - many thanks.