Thread: burrs slipping in axminster handpiece

Default burrs slipping in axminster handpiece

I'm a novice and I bought the axminster pendant drill with the keyless chuck handpiece a couple of months ago and I've been enjoying using it, it's so much easier than a dremel

I've recently been having a go at tube and flush setting small gemstones. For a 3mm flush set I drill a 1.5mm hole, then make it 2mm and then start with a 3mm round burr and then 3mm stone setting burr. I'm having problems with the burrs slipping and sometimes the drill bits, the burrs slip right in and then jam against the back. I can't tighten the jaws any tighter. I'm drilling at quite low speeds and the burrs slip without me pressing very hard, I'm using cut lube. The gripping parts of the jaw have quite sharp corners so there isn't much friction holding the burr shafts in place. I'm mostly using copper while I'm practising.

Is it likely to be me or the handpiece?

Thanks

I have exactly the same problem. I contacted Axminster and they couldn't tell me why it happens.
    Unfortunately they only sell this type of handpiece.
    I have tried cleaning the chuck but to no avail.
    Sometimes it's ok, other times it slips down.
    I have had this pendant drill for about 18 months now and wish I hadn't bought it.
    Next time I will buy a quick release handpiece on a Foredom or similar. (If there is a next time!)

If it did the job ok before, then it seems like either the chuck needs a good cleanout or a replacement.
    I don't think it matters much what make/model drill, if burrs slip then they are not getting gripped enough.
    If the drill stops/jams it's lack of torque.
    Stick a sheet of paper between the jaws to clean any muck out & see if it helps.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 07-11-2015 at 02:43 PM.

Thanks. I've cleaned it out, but the more I think about it the more I think it's the design of the chuck with it having such sharp corners there is very little metal in contact with the shank, this means it will take tiny drill bits, but I think there just isn't enough friction to compete with the lever arm and friction of a burr. I'll speak to them tomorrow and see what they say.

Does anyone know if it is possible to put a foredom handpiece on the axminster?

I thought I'd update this, it might be useful to Theresa at least. When I spoke to Axminster the tech support man suggested I try the keyed chuck handpiece, so they sent me one, it turned out to grip the burrs and small drill bits much better but was loads bigger and heavier, so I didn't think it would suit me. I spoke to customer services (without getting put through to the tech dept) and they allowed me to send the whole lot back for a refund.

I've bought a Foredom SR now instead. I've ended up with the standard H30 3 jawed chuck handpiece because over the last couple of months I've bought a load of tools with complete disregard to shank size so I needed the flexibility. It turns out that amongst all the baffling array of handpieces that Foredom do, there is only one 3 jawed chuck one....and it's pretty big and the Axminster keyed chuck is very similar to it. It does make me wonder if it might be quite difficult to make a smaller sized 3 jaw chuck and still have it close tight enough to work properly (which would explain why the Axminster one had issues), although I would think a smaller diameter handpiece might work if it had a keyed chuck.

Anyway, a quick comparison of the Axminster and Foredom, the Foredom is smoother and quieter, the handpiece is more accurately made and true, the foot control is better at slow speeds and smoother. The motor on the Axminster seemed perfectly good and was a little bit more powerful (150w vs 125w I think), the small handpiece was nice in the hand.

Something that did help a little bit with the slipping burrs was taping the shank of the burr, I tried masking tape but this scuffed and needed re-doing every time it slipped, so maybe insulating tape would work better. @theresa maybe it's worth trying the keyed Axminster handpiece or from the looks of the fitting you could try a Foredom handpiece on the Axminster.

Interesting. I went to Basingstoke last week and bought a new keyed handpiece from Axminster and quite like it except it is tedious when you have to keep changing burrs.
    I didn't know the Foredom was compatible with the Axminster?
    I was very tempted to buy a new Foredom just to get the quick release, but the price put me off slightly as my Axminster is less than 2 years old!

I also have a Proxxon micromotor which I use a lot but that jammed this week and I couldn't extract my burr, so it went back to Axminster. (2yr guarantee)

I'm not finding the keyed chuck too bad for speed in changing burrs, there was always the lock pin to fiddle with the keyless axminster handpiece so I'm not finding too much difference. I'm finding the bigger handpiece harder to hold steady when I'm doing precise things, when I start the motor, there is a kick that transfers down the flex shaft and is affecting my grip on the larger diameter.

Since I've run in the foredom handpiece it has spat out some grease between the casing and the key teeth and it is running with a bit more vibration now, so there is no nirvana in the foredom over the axminster. I should really contact foredom to see if it should eject dark red grease, unless anyone here knows?

The connections look the same to me, but I can't say for sure because I didn't see both at the same time, I did find this other forum discussion saying they were compatible http://www.thecarvingpath.net/forum/...rfeit-foredom/ It might be worth ordering the quick change handpiece from a shop that will let you send it back if it doesn't look right, it's the regular foredom handpiece connection you want, not the european slip joint.