Thread: Accidental ring

Default Accidental ring

So, I was making a completely different ring and this band, once I'd put things together, didn't work and so was spare to play with. So I started hacking bits out with files and got this crumpley textured ring. And then I thought I could set a stone into it, and that looked OK, so I went a bit wild setting all available stones into it. It's got seven little rubies scattered around it now. I'm really pleased with it - random and organic-feeling. Of course, it would have been a lot easier to make if I'd planned out ahead of time....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20151106_231821~2.jpg  

Some peoples accidents look like other peoples purposes.

A happy accident! This sort of thing happens all the time with torch-working glass - when the unexpected/unplanned happens you have the option of abandoning a piece or going with the flow (literally, in the case of hot glass), letting it evolve in its own way and perhaps discovering something new...
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    A happy accident! This sort of thing happens all the time with torch-working glass - when the unexpected/unplanned happens you have the option of abandoning a piece or going with the flow (literally, in the case of hot glass), letting it evolve in its own way and perhaps discovering something new...
    Alan
    Serendipity! 'Fortuitous happen-stance' as I define it. I encounter a fair bit of this especially in my materials castings and it's given me better results on many occasions than the very best of my plans - in a lot of my 'doings' I try to leave openings for serendipity to step in and have a play, and the majority of what I've made so far has no real initial planning, not even the roughest of sketches.

Love the ring ',;~}~

Cheers!

It looks great! Why do my accidents never end up like that...?!

Quote Originally Posted by marna View Post
    So, I ... I went a bit wild ... now... I'm really pleased with it - random and organic-feeling. Of course, it would have been a lot easier to make if I'd planned out ahead of time....
    That's called creativity. Welcome to going with the flow.

Great result btw!

Yes, I'm wishing for a few of those accidents Carole!! Very nice!!