Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to invisble /flush set gemstones with video

Default How to invisble /flush set gemstones with video

(I HAVE PUT THIS ON AGAIN SO IT IS LINKED WITH VIDEO)
    The best way I use is to use an old drill ball 005 flatten of the end make sure the end is polished smooth
    And put into Handel ball round , drill hole so the stone fits in so tight it won't come out even if you bang it hard ,
    Then with your flat end pusher scim around the edge of the hole about 45 degree angle clock wise or anti keeping a
    smooth even pressure until metal is over the stone if done properly you will end up with a bright rim around the stone no
    Scratches marks around the stone it will be very clean .
    Secondly get another 005 ball drill put it in your drill and with sand paper take the drill down to a fine pin point
    And make sure it is highly polished and put that in a grain tool Handel , then with it burnish inside the rim in a circular
    Motion until all the metal is on the stone and rim is even .
    There you go no mess no buffing over metal getting out scratches dents clean job, believe me it's the best way ben doing this for over 30 years , if you need any help give us a call.
    Here is the YouTube link to show you how to video. http://youtu.be/1RVZvnyo2wM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	8313s

diamondsetting4u.com
    Last edited by johnmoto; 06-11-2015 at 12:07 PM.

Wow. Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by johnmoto View Post
    drill hole so the stone fits in so tight it won't come out even if you bang it hard ,
    That's fine for diamonds john, but many of us aim to flush set other stones, which are too fragile to force in, so a compromise is needed. Dennis.

I used this technique recently, took a while to get to grips with it but I got there in the end after a few attempts and sifting through the ultrasonic! I used it with sapphires, I wasn't experienced enough to get them to click in but it still worked ok (eventually!)

Quote Originally Posted by Unhindered View Post
    I used this technique recently, took a while to get to grips with it but I got there in the end after a few attempts and sifting through the ultrasonic! I used it with sapphires, I wasn't experienced enough to get them to click in but it still worked ok (eventually!)
    Hi your not aiming to click the stones in , just drill the hole just big enough so the stone fits in very tight so if you
    turn the job upside down and bang it hard and the stone does not come out then you have adjusted it properly,
    And on small stones adjust them low enough so the top of stone is level with the surface ,so when you skim around the
    Top of stone your not hitting it .

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    That's fine for diamonds john, but many of us aim to flush set other stones, which are too fragile to force in, so a compromise is needed. Dennis.
    Hi Dennis this technique is ideal for soft stones because your never directly putting any pressure on the stone
    Especially on the first to steps of instructions as a precaution for someone who is not used to setting I would
    Leave out step 3 the thicker pinning tool and Finnish with the thin fine pinning tool angling away from stone.
    I use this technique all the time for emeralds , amathyst ,opal, etc .

diamondstting4u.com

I tried it.
    First one I made the hole ever so slightly too big and so it didn't work as I couldn't push enough metal over that way and had to resort to making a mess and cleaning up.
    Next two I got the size right and it worked well so thank you- far less cleaning up to do afterwards.
    I hate small stones though especially white CZs as they are so hard to see and you can't clean around them easily.

I normally end up with stone tables above surface, as I burnish th inside edge down on stones.
    Anyone who wants opals & emerald flush set should be shot. same goes for other than round shape as It's not an efficient method timewise.
    There are things that are possible, but that doesn't necessarily make them a good idea.
    Theoretically john's method is a good one, I guess you need to experience & experiment what works best for you, maybe use a combination of different ways.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 07-11-2015 at 08:37 AM.

As you proved enigma, the error margin of wether you get a good or bad result is a small one.
    Same can be said of all settings, all you can do is practice & always pay full attention so your results mostly stay on the right side of the knife edge.
    Everything's easy to do but even easier to bodge up.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 07-11-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    Anyone who wants opals & emerald flush set should be shot.
    Fire opals too. Shooting's too good for 'em.

same goes for other than round shape as It's not an efficient method timewise.
    It's quite slow to cut the seat for anything fancy, I usually have to meticulously carve it with flat & onglette scorpers.