Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to invisble /flush set gemstones with video

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    It's quite slow to cut the seat for anything fancy, I usually have to meticulously carve it with flat & onglette scorpers.
    Try explaining that it took over an hour & you can't do it for £3
    I had to do an "off square" sapphire in a "D" shape wedding ring which took far longer than it did to cover the rest of the job with pavé.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 07-11-2015 at 09:46 AM.

You two must have the patience of a saint!
    Waaaay above my mediocre standards lol

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    You two must have the patience of a saint!
    Waaaay above my mediocre standards lol
    Depends if we fancy a challenge at the time I guess.
    There has been a few jobs that I've passed on..you build a sixth sense over time that decides if It's a go or not.
    Takes too long to explain why it didn't work & a lot better to avoid starting in the first place.

Even new designs from manufacturers are sometimes worth avoiding..especially when you later find that they have been scrapped at a later date after being tackled by someone else.
    Always trust your instincts & never be afraid to say no thanks.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 07-11-2015 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    I normally end up with stone tables above surface, as I burnish th inside edge down on stones.
    Anyone who wants opals & emerald flush set should be shot. same goes for other than round shape as It's not an efficient method timewise.
    There are things that are possible, but that doesn't necessarily make them a good idea.
    Theoretically john's method is a good one, I guess you need to experience & experiment what works best for you, maybe use a combination of different ways.
    I only set small stones at surface level ,found that's the best way because once polished the edge around stone disappears
    And looks awful , on larger stones they will be ever so slightly undercut to stop them from tipping and clipped in then
    Same process as above.
    I was called in a few years ago to brown and newarth after that year the twelve setters there had smashed ,stones fell out
    The loss of stones came to over £20,000 that year , most of it was down to bad invisible-flush setting ,everyone was doing
    A different techniques and there abilities ranged from a few weeks to 30years as diamond setters.
    So my mission was to teach them a way that was simple to follow and gave a good end result and quick.
    So one by one I taught them the technique as explained in the video ,they all found it easy to follow and I am happy
    To say the diamond loss dropped dramatically, the company was so happy they kept me coming in once a week
    For 2 years teaching there setters every type of diamond setting , I did enjoy teaching them they were a good bunch
    Of guys.

Thanks Chris, the trouble with inexperience is sometimes you don't know what you don't know….until you start trying to do it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
    Wow. Thank you very much!
    Your welcome I am glad you had success , if you can send me a picture of the setting would like to see it.
    Regards John

diamondsetting4u.com

I tried it.
    First one I made the hole ever so slightly too big and so it didn't work as I couldn't push enough metal over that way and had to resort to making a mess and cleaning up.
    Next two I got the size right and it worked well so thank you- far less cleaning up to do afterwards.
    I hate small stones though especially white CZs as they are so hard to see and you can't clean around them easily.
    Your welcome I am glad you had success , if you can send me a picture of the setting would like to see it.
    Regards John

diamondsetting4u.com

Thanks Chris, the trouble with inexperience is sometimes you don't know what you don't know….until you start trying to do it lol
    You still have to sail in unchartered water sometimes even after years of practice, you just have to build your mental library of experience as you go.

I`d just add...try avoiding those "native cut" colour stones with the rounded bellies that won`t grip the hole due to lack of a defined girdle.
    They really are not suited for the style & will cause serious headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    You still have to sail in unchartered water sometimes even after years of practice, you just have to build your mental library of experience as you go.

I`d just add...try avoiding those "native cut" colour stones with the rounded bellies that won`t grip the hole due to lack of a defined girdle.
    They really are not suited for the style & will cause serious headache.
    Chris has has a point but life is never that easy , a lot of cabs, fancy shapes never have the setter in mind
    Just set this Amber in platinum ring it was quite large.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	8342

diamondsetting4u.com
    Instagram. diamonsetting4u
    Last edited by johnmoto; 12-11-2015 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmoto View Post
    Regards John

diamondsetting4u.com
    Finally got a pic John, may not be perfect but much better and faster than my previous attempts so thank you!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hellenring.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	8350