Thread: Chains etc

Default Chains etc

I have a grizzle, I ordered a length of sterling silver snake chain from Cookies, I wanted a 14" and 1.9mm thick, but I struggled to get the ends for it. I had 2.4mm but that was obviously far too big, so I rang Cookies because I couldnt find them on their website. They sell the chain but not the ends, I ask you, how would you make ends if you couldnt buy them for snake chains. They keep some, i.e 1.2mm, 2.4mm, and 3mm, but not to fit a 1.9mm chain. I eventually got them from Palmers, so problem solved but is there any way to make them, thought about buying some tube, but not sure how to go about it.

I've used tube Pat when there haven't been ends available. Either cut to length and solder on ends and then a ring or solder a ring into the end of the open tube

That's a good idea. Didn't think of soldering on the end and soldering on a ring. Must remember that one!!!!!! Thanks Caroline.

You're welcome It's cheaper and not as flimsy as some of the ends

Same as Caroline, but I make them routinely, because I like them a bit longer. Cookson state the internal diameters of their tubes.

Close the end with round nosed pliers, put excess solder on the jump ring, sit them in a groove and heat to connect. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sb Making A Snake End.jpg  

That's a good way of doing it too. Thanks for your help people, I will have a go at that when I get up.