Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sterling Silver earring wires

Default Sterling Silver earring wires

Hi there,

I realise that this may be a rather basic question for some of you, but I am looking for some guidance. I have made earring wires in some different styles using 0.8mm sterling silver round wire. In order to harden them, I have tried a couple of different options -either at the beginning of the process by using my barrelling machine to tumble them for a couple of hours or by pulling and twisting the wire (using nylon jaw pliers) before shaping them accordingly.

Can you advise what would be the best option (either from those above or alternative ways). I am concerned that whilst they appear to be holding shape, that they could be better.

Thank you in advance

Others on the forum can probably give you the best advice for work-hardening sterling, but I'd like to suggest an alternative.

I'm a bit of a flag-waver for Argentium silver - Cooksons now sell the 935 grade in wire and sheet form. I think it has three basic advantages over traditional sterling which make it especially good for ear wires:
    1. it has excellent tarnish-resistance
    2. it is better for those with sensitive skin
    3. it can be hardened by a simple heat-treatment in a kiln or domestic oven

It behaves in other respects very much like traditional sterling, so it work-hardens in a similar way. And, though it has a slightly higher silver content, it can legitimately be described as "sterling" (which simply means minimum silver content of 925 parts per 1000).

The heat-hardening treatment requires 1-2 hours at 300°C, or longer at lower temperatures which may be more realistic if using a domestic oven. I can give you more info or links to useful websites if you wish.

Alan

Tumbling doesn't really make the blindest bit of difference to wire, other than at really very fine gauges - it does make things nice and shiny though

Argentium is OK for earwires, especially if it's for people with sensitivity issues, but it is a lot more expensive, and the process takes longer. It's also not great for fabricating with unless you're very comfortable with how it behaves when heated.

The best solution is either to draw the wire to harden it properly to start with, or to ensure that shapes are forged gently into permanence.

I harden mine gently with a hide mallet. You can usually hear when they are hardened when gently pulled there is a ping in resistance a bit like when saw blades are at the right tension

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Argentium is OK for earwires [...] but it is a lot more expensive.
    At Cookson prices about 6% more, which on the cost of an ear wire isn't much...

...actually, I've just looked this up and 0.8mm sterling round wire seems to be more expensive than 0.8mm argentium round wire:
    http://www.cooksongold.com/Wire/Ster...prcode-HSA-080
    http://www.cooksongold.com/Argentium...rcode-HS35-080
    Last edited by ajda; 01-11-2015 at 07:38 PM.

I sometimes rest my wires on a steel block and rub them with a burnisher to harden them. I do think tumbling does harden them a bit. They do feel a bit harder to me.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I sometimes rest my wires on a steel block and rub them with a burnisher to harden them. I do think tumbling does harden them a bit. They do feel a bit harder to me.
    Forgot about burnishing, I do that too Carole!

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. It is also useful to hear about the argentium silver, as I do not have any experience of this type of silver. I have tried most of these methods, although probably not with any great committment. i.e. I have a burnisher but probably need to use this more and most likely hammer to lightly (this is a nylon hammer) . I will take on board the advice given and look forward to testing this all out. Many thanks
    Last edited by li_sa; 01-11-2015 at 10:24 PM.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I use .8mm sterling silver, except where someone has an allergy.

I measure out a approx. 5inches of metal. fold in half so they are parallel with each other. Hold the folded end with a pair of flat or bent nose pliers. Then twist each half until it feels like it has been work hardenend. I then curve the joined end up with round nose pliers and create a hook, and a little bend. Once happy that they are evenly sized, a cup burr is applied to the ends. Finally, I snip the bent and joined end to free each ear hook - a quick tumble to brighten them up, or just a quick polish with the pendant mop and then soaped clean. Works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by li_sa View Post
    It is also useful to hear about the argentium silver, as I do not have any experience of this type of silver.
    There are some differences, as George says, in the way Argentium behaves at very high temperatures, so if using a torch to anneal/solder/fuse pieces you need to understand those differences. But I don't think you'd find it any different from traditional sterling for forming (and work-hardening) ear wires. The fact that you can heat-harden it so easily simply gives you an extra option that you don't have with the sterling.

By the way, does anyone know why Cookson charge more for 0.8mm sterling round wire than other gauges?

Alan