Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sterling Silver earring wires

What is the best way to harden posts after soldering?
    Even though I give them a few twists with pliers I feel they are still too bendy and worry about them deforming when used.
    They also get tumbled but I haven't noticed much improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    I use .8mm sterling silver, except where someone has an allergy.

I measure out a approx. 5inches of metal. fold in half so they are parallel with each other. Hold the folded end with a pair of flat or bent nose pliers. Then twist each half until it feels like it has been work hardenend. I then curve the joined end up with round nose pliers and create a hook, and a little bend. Once happy that they are evenly sized, a cup burr is applied to the ends. Finally, I snip the bent and joined end to free each ear hook - a quick tumble to brighten them up, or just a quick polish with the pendant mop and then soaped clean. Works every time.
    Oooh clever - hadn't thought of twisting the wire! I've taken to hammering mine gently with a small ball hammer to harden them and give them a bit of a dimpled texture.

Can't really see it too well but this is the general idea:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silver-and-gold-vermeil-flame-heart-earrings-1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	8296

I bought some 0.8 argentium last week so going to try out the same thing and see if it behaves differently. I'm sure I read on here that it balls up better than sterling.

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    What is the best way to harden posts after soldering?
    Even though I give them a few twists with pliers I feel they are still too bendy and worry about them deforming when used.
    They also get tumbled but I haven't noticed much improvement.
    After twisting them a few times with nylon jaw pliers I run the post back (scroll?) up and down the post several times which seems to harden them.

I use half hard wire for my earwires. This means I can still shape them how I want them, but gives them a bit more hardness. I then polish the ends so they are not sharp, tumble and finish with some surgical spirit so they are nice and clean.
    Jules