Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking Queries

A new question
    I have to send a packet next week - silver and some silver with 18ct.
    Some of the silver/18ct brooches have stainless steel pins - is this going to be a problem??

I just had my first silver brooch with a stainless steel pin hallmarked with no problem in London. I just wrote "brooch with stainless steel pin" on the hall note, and wrote "stainless steel pin" on the back of the brooch in felt pen.

It's more the fact it already has mixed metals I want marked already - the 18ct is more important to me than steel to be marked. If it only got marked silver + metal it would be rather gutting :-/

I see what you mean. My brooch was just marked as silver, not silver + metal.

I'm assuming the pin isn't actually attached as in soldered to the brooch so I would have thought it would be marked mixed metals

Thanks Paintbox (Sorry, I don't know your name!) Caroline, I'm not explaining myself well - I know they won't mark Silver + part mark 18ct + METAL, so wondering what they would mark - either silver + 18ct or if it would have to be silver + METAL, or if they ignore the stainless steel pin as it is a permissable addition.

I think they will mark mixed metals as in silver and gold and ignore the pin as its permissible. Edinburgh have marked my silver with gold with a mixed metal mark. They call mixed metal ' a mixture of precious metals or precious metal and base metal' that's why I was asking if the pin is permanently attached or hinged.

Interesting - I have only ever had a part mark or a metal (base) - not both. Pins will not be soldered

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    Interesting - I have only ever had a part mark or a metal (base) - not both. Pins will not be soldered
    This was for pricing but it shows the marks. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	8980

Still my question is unanswered,
    Do anybody else care to explain, please ?
    Jewelry for today's world,
    Whereby, style following the pattern of traditional world !