Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking Queries

Ah thanks so much..
    I guess I will send in some finished pieces and as many blanks as I can. Tricky with cuff bracelets as each one is a different size but I will just send a mixture

I'm asking now as I haven't made pieces over the weight limit before, so this is all new to me!

Ok, I'm trying to register with the Edinburgh Assay office.

It says I have to order my sponsors mark punch, is that for them to use or for me?

Also, there's a choice of straight or swan neck, mostly I'll be getting cuff bracelets hallmarked at the moment.
    Should I select swan neck or straight?

Confused

Firstly they will want to know what letters you want on your punch, then they will let you know what shape punch you can have based on what is already registered.
    Then you will have to select what size or sizes of punches you need. It will be your choice as to whether you want to use you own punch of for them to punch your pieces.
    The swan neck punches are mainly for marking rings and are quite small, I would think you may prefer a larger punch for bracelets, although it's up to you what sizes you want, if you don't mind small hallmarks then the swan neck will suit all jobs.
    Finally I don't know about the Edinburgh office, but in London you are offered the option of having your pieces laser marked, then all you need do is have your punch added to their file list and they can mark any size you wish.
    When I registered my mark, some 40 years ago I didn't have the option of laser marking. so I ordered 3 punches in various sizes, one swan neck and two straight, which I kept myself and marked my own pieces over the years.

I buy my cuff and bangle blanks in at the maximum size and hallmark them.
    You do obviously waste some silver that way but I do quite a bit of casting so its not a problem for me, you could send it back to Cooksons as scrap and get some money back that way if you aren't casting.

I have a straight punch , medium sort of size that works ok for all my items except rings that are sent after making- those I have laser marked instead.
    I do prefer the stamp, I think it looks nicer than laser and its also much easier to make the item after stamping than lasering as the mark is a lot deeper so will take a lot more finishing without damage.
    The stamps are normally held at the assay office.

Ah ok, so I think a medium sized straigh punch will be best. If my bracelets are 6mm wide, and my bangles about 3mm, what size do you think?
    They do offer laser but that's a whole separate price list and I think I like the idea of my pieces mostly being stamped..

Good idea to return spare silver as scrap, didn't think about that.

Do you think I should order extra punches in the near future to use at home too?

You are best to ask them really, if you tell them the size pieces you will want stamping they will advise
    You could have a punch for use at home for items that don't need hallmarking.
    Its a nice idea actually, I should get myself one as I do sometimes have items that don't need hallmarking and then they would at least have my initials on.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlewhitefeathers View Post
    Ok, I'm trying to register with the Edinburgh Assay office.

It says I have to order my sponsors mark punch, is that for them to use or for me?

Also, there's a choice of straight or swan neck, mostly I'll be getting cuff bracelets hallmarked at the moment.
    Should I select swan neck or straight?

Confused
    You'll probably be dealing with Doreen Jareckyj re your punch and she is really helpful. I recently had to renew my punch as my original was worn. I'd only had a swan neck due to the cost and had wanted to buy both now but she still advised that I didn't really need it as I can use it for all surfaces whereas a straight is more limited. She will advise on size too
    Once you are registered you can choose to leave it with them to mark for you, or I've always kept mine and then get really stressed when I get round to doing it and have to practice on a piece of scrap!
    You can also get laser marking done which I have done on pieces that would spoil with struck marks. They are all really good to work with, you'd hardly know they had touched work when in the beginning your work came back with such deep sample marks that you couldn't send in finished pieces.
    They do have busy periods so ask about waiting times before sending in if you are in a hurry.
    Exciting times for you

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Once you are registered you can choose to leave it with them to mark for you, or I've always kept mine and then get really stressed when I get round to doing it and have to practice on a piece of scrap!
    Yes, thats why I leave mine with them even though I do quite a bit of letter stamping I still stress every time!

Ah that's all really useful to know.. I think best to leave the stamp with them as I'm likely to stress over it too. Although at some point I'd like my own stamp at home for smaller pieces that don't need hallmarked but I would like my sponsors Mark on.

It is exciting, bummer I have to find the funds to initially set it up but I'm so excited