Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking Queries

Hi DaveM, I'm hoping you can help me!
    I'm hallmarking my pieces for the first time ... and was wanting to know if it is a good idea that as well as having the traditional UK marks, would you advise me to also get International Convention marks and/or UK plus Common Control marks? (I'm unclear what they are and what their differences are) ... I will be selling online so there is potential that people from overseas will be buying pieces ...

Many thanks (forgive me if it has already been answered in a thread somewhere ... if it has, I haven't found it!)

Liz

Liz, 95% of my work has been sent or sold abroad and I have only ever used the standard UK hallmarks, which are recognised and trusted worldwide.

James

Oh OK, that's good to know ... I was thinking that to be the case ... thank you.

Meant to phone the LAO today but time ran away with me and by the time I remembered it was too late. Does anyone know what the standard turn-around time for hallmarking is at this time of year - is it still 3 - 5 working days?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by susieq View Post
    Meant to phone the LAO today but time ran away with me and by the time I remembered it was too late. Does anyone know what the standard turn-around time for hallmarking is at this time of year - is it still 3 - 5 working days?

Thanks
    I spoke to them at the beginning of the week and they said they are very busy at the moment and could take more like 7 days. That said, they got mine on Tuesday and posted them back to me yesterday so I am hoping I have to sign for them any minute ...

Thanks Liz, I knew they would be busy at this time of the year. Hope your parcel has arrived/arrives soon.

Susie

Hi Liz,
    Sorry for the rather late response, but I see 'Goldsmith' enlightened you.
    Just to give you a brief idea of what the story is between the two different marks; Obviously the Traditional UK mark is, what it is; but the 'convention' mark was initially set up with UK and Swiss offices to enable Assay Offices in Europe working to our own exacting standards some recognition, this system has slowly grown to include 18 member states at present, and a name change from European convention to International convention, as Israel is now part of the group, if an article is convention marked in those member states and marked with a convention mark they can circumvent the system here and be offered directly for retail sale, likewise us for them.
    A big confusion for some is, we sometimes don't except the national marks from particular countries even though we except their convention marks, and this is usually where a particular laboratory is not up to the same spek as a convention recognised laboratory.
    Best Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	8732Hi, I hope this thread is still active.

First of all, I haven't built my business up to selling a big number of pieces, how do people factor in the time it takes to get pieces hallmarked if a customer orders? Do most send blanks to be used before hand?

If not, are customers generally happy to wait?

Also, if I make necklaces with several pieces hanging on them, each on a desperate jump ring (see pic), and each piece is less than hallmarking weight, does it still need hallmarked?

Separate jump ring**

I send blank in as much as possible to keep costs down rather than to avoid waiting times - its a lot to add on to a silver item if you are sending single items in.
    Im in France so my waiting times can be up to 3 weeks including postage both ways and none of my customers have a problem with that although my turnaround time is 10-12 weeks anyway so its not much to add on.

Re your necklace, if each pendant can be slid off the chain separately then I don't believe they need hallmarking if each one is under the weight.