Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking Queries

Quote Originally Posted by Littlewhitefeathers View Post
    Ah that's all really useful to know.. I think best to leave the stamp with them as I'm likely to stress over it too. Although at some point I'd like my own stamp at home for smaller pieces that don't need hallmarked but I would like my sponsors Mark on.

It is exciting, bummer I have to find the funds to initially set it up but I'm so excited
    I don't think you can use your makers mark for anything but Hallmarking, it's registered with that office but I may be completely wrong

I like to keep my punch at home so I can mark 925/TH on small things. If they go to the USA that's all they need.
    I also get everything laser marked now which is fine. I've asked for 3D laser on my next batch which I hope will look good.
    In an ideal world all my work would carry a full hallmark, but sometimes it's not practical when stuff has to be shipped quickly.
    BTW they don't have to keep your punch, you just need to remember to send it each time.

Ah does anyone know if I can use my makers mark on small pieces that don't require hallmarking?

Ok, next quesrion.. I see they charge 20p for items that are individually packaged.
    If
    I wanted to send 10 pieces, how would I package them so they were classed as not individually packaged?

Individually wrapped means little bags, I have a stiff cardboard box that I send mine in. I line it with bubble wrap if things aren't finished and pack them tightly. They don't mind bubble wrap to separate things just not bagged, it's a time thing

With regard to the makers mark ,ask them and let us know please

Ah does anyone know if I can use my makers mark on small pieces that don't require hallmarking?
    I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be allowed to. That mark on its own though would be no indication of the purity of the metal.

Ah thanks for clarification on the packaging.

Will double check with them about the makers/sponsors mark

Ah thanks for clarification on the packaging.

Will double check with them about the makers/sponsors mark
    Forgot to say there is one difference re packaging, if you are sending in the parts of a piece not yet constructed then they have to be bagged. It's not quite so necessary now that you can have laser marking now but when it was only a struck mark sometimes you had to send it in bits if it was a hollow structure for example. Sorry if that's stating the obvious and for you at the moment it's probably not relevant with cuffs.

Thanks, not stating the obvious at all!
    It's all new to me

Another question, do you usually mark where you want the hallmarks on the piece?

Yes, I do unless its a finished piece when I often leave it to them to decide the best place.
    or for ring shanks/cuffs etc I may just write " mark centrally " for the whole lot.