Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wax removal

Default Wax removal

Hello,

I am wondering if any of you have any ideas on how to remove rouge wax from my fingers ? I am finding that I am always getting those annoying fine black wax lines between the lines on my fingertips and being as picky as I am, I think it looks rather unkempt and if I'm honest, it makes my hands look grubby. I get that its par for the course but there must be a way to remove the lines, as I don't think it looks right to present a nice piece to a customer with dirty hands/fingers.

Thanks in advance

I am generally the grubbiest, platinol stained, shredded handed person you can find. If I need to clean up pronto, I use swarfega, which is fab, and always keep some good handcream on tap (I love this stuff which helps heal hands and smells fab too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ClimbOn-Prod.../dp/B001OPLTQY Prob cheaper from a climbing/outdoor store though)

Washing up liquid usually takes it off and I know most disagree with this but I always wear gloves when polishing now

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Washing up liquid usually takes it off and I know most disagree with this but I always wear gloves when polishing now
    Better to have dirty fingers than losing a finger because your glove got caught on the polishing motor spindle

Sent from my K010 using Tapatalk

I find washing up liquid does the job, too. Twice I've lost a chunk of hair about 6 inches long and also got my top tangled and shredded on my Dremel so I'd be sure to lose a finger if I wore gloves!

During years of working on filthy old motorbikes I've always found washing up liquid more effective than Swarfega, though Tufanega ("Swarfega with balls") is quite good. There are various barrier creams available that protect the skin and make cleaning up easier. But, in any case, as a customer I'd be a bit suspicious of a mechanic or metalsmith with pristine hands... Wear your stains and scars with pride.
    Alan

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Please, please do not wear gloves when polishing. I very nearly badly damaged my hand when I started silversmithing by wearing just thin latex gloves whilst polishing with a Dremel. The glove caught in the spinning mop and in a millisecond the Dremel was ripping it to shreds and tightening it on my index finger - fortunately the rubber snapped before my finger. If it had been a bench polisher then I would definitely have had some horrible damage to my hand.
    Please don't do it - use some barrier cream before polishing and the residue will wash off easily.
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Quote Originally Posted by geti-titanium View Post
    Better to have dirty fingers than losing a finger because your glove got caught on the polishing motor spindle

Sent from my K010 using Tapatalk
    I wear vinyl gloves which disintegrate before they would get caught and I've had no problems in the years that I've done it but thanks for your concern Alan. I'm very careful with my bench polisher and bought the rhinoskins for the job which are worn on thumb and forefinger and were popular with quite a few on here and found them much more dangerous. It's nothing to do with having dirty fingers and it's definitely not a vanity thing or a fear of dirty fingers for me it's that my fingernails are very thin and don't stand intensive polishing. I'm not sure why I'm having to justify a personal need to you guys though!
    Last edited by CJ57; 28-10-2015 at 11:59 AM.

thanks for your concern Alan [...] I'm not sure why I'm having to justify a personal need to you guys though!
    I wasn't expressing concern about glove use (or does someone else on this thread share my name?) - I was only praising washing up liquid over Swarfega and suggesting that barrier cream might help protect the skin and make cleaning hands easier. You don't have to justify yourself to me.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    I wasn't expressing concern about glove use (or does someone else on this thread share my name?) - I was only praising washing up liquid over Swarfega and suggesting that barrier cream might help protect the skin and make cleaning hands easier. You don't have to justify yourself to me.

Alan
    Yes GETi shares your name Alan and I think he was the first to quote me. I can only go by my own long experience and people can take it or leave it. I'm usually the first to share my horror stories but I don't have any on this matter, maybe it's different using a dremel or such like which I don't.