Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wax removal

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Yes GETi shares your name Alan and I think he was the first to quote me.
    Ah - thanks for the clarification Caroline! I'm cursed/blessed with one of the commonest first names and surnames in Wales (Alan Davies) so I'm used to sharing it with others. I agree that it's right to raise legitimate safety concerns, particularly when there are new and inexperienced people looking for advice/guidance here - I'm always doing it in relation to Hydrofluoric Acid on the glassworking forum I frequent - but in the end I respect other adults' freedom to decide for themselves.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    Ah - thanks for the clarification Caroline! I'm cursed/blessed with one of the commonest first names and surnames in Wales (Alan Davies) so I'm used to sharing it with others. I agree that it's right to raise legitimate safety concerns, particularly when there are new and inexperienced people looking for advice/guidance here - I'm always doing it in relation to Hydrofluoric Acid on the glassworking forum I frequent - but in the end I respect other adults' freedom to decide for themselves.
    Alan
    I have a chronic illness so I'm really sensitive to chemicals that we scarily used with abandon when I was at art college in the 70s, not sure I could even use resins now they way I did after I graduated:/ Our lecturer wouldn't even allow us protective eyewear as they would get dirty. I think I would rather have stopped and cleaned them than have to get their ancient eyewash out. Now in decrepitness I wear glasses anyway

I also respect other adults decisions regarding their own welfare but at the same time, coming from an engineering background and having seen first hand the effects of gloves being worn when operating machinery, I do feel compelled to point out how dangerous it is.

Sent from my K010 using Tapatalk

And you are quite right to do so. As I said, I regularly raise the dangers of Hydrofluoric Acid on a certain glassworking forum - the old hands say "yes, we know all that, we're grandmothers and we know how to suck eggs..." But I think we have a responsibility to repeat basic safety warnings for those who don't already know and who come to forums like these to learn from those with experience.

Alan2

I do understand all that but when you start to use tools of any kind you have to do that with a great amount of common sense which worries me when many are learning from books and videos where workshop skills and safety aren't learnt instinctively. We don't tell everyone that even a saw blade can suddenly ping and embed in your finger or head for somewhere worse or there have been quite a few posts recently about flaring torches and burnt eyebrows. We are using tools and machinery on a daily basis if we aren't doing it aware of its possible dangers should we be doing it.

I have in desperation used a mild hair peroxide solution to stick my fingertips in! It removed all the dirt brilliantly, but did sting a little...