Thread: An Early Prezzy To Myself.

Default An Early Prezzy To Myself.

My old belt and disk sander packed up after some twenty years, so I have just replaced it with a lighter tabletop version from Warco.

If like me you are filing challenged and want to trim back metal to a scribed line, in a hurry to boot, you desperately need one of these. Particularly useful for thick metal as in belt buckles.

Not much you can get these days for £69 including VAT. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Warco Sander.jpg  

That looks like a nice piece of kit - and not at all a bad price. Does it seem reasonably well engineered?
    Alan

Nice one Dennis - I want one now...

I've always been impressed with Warco's quality as well.

Wow, that looks nice. Happy December!

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    That looks like a nice piece of kit - and not at all a bad price. Does it seem reasonably well engineered?
    Alan
    It is quite sturdy and the tables are adjusted with levers, rather than knurled knobs. Unlike some other models, the on/off buttons are easy to find.
    The mitre guide has a bit of slack, but I plan to substitute a slightly longer screw for the pointer, to fix that.

Safety concerns:
    Metal gets very hot, so can't be hand held for long without dipping it in water.
    Use only the down side of the disk, or the piece will fly away.
    Although it does not go that fast it will skin your knuckles if touched while on.
    It should not be used for other materials, such as wood and resin, for fear of ignition by hot filings.
    This creates problems of dust extraction too. a dedicated extractor will cost much more than the machine, but for occasional short spell use in the past, I have vacuumed the ports once the machine is cold. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    It should not be used for other materials, such as wood and resin, for fear of ignition by hot filings.
    That's odd, Dennis. I thought these were designed primarily for woodwork. Does it actually have something in the manual advising against sanding wood with it? Has it got a dust extraction port? I've got a belt sander and it has a dust extraction port. When I connect it to my Numatic vacuum cleaner the extraction rate is phenomenally good.
    Mark.
    ETA: Oh, and you say an "early prezzy"; does that mean you've lined up more for yourself?
    Last edited by Aurarius; 02-12-2015 at 10:57 PM.

Yes Mark, they can be used for wood, resin and soft metals, but despite dust extraction you are warned about fire risk, so this one will only see metal.

As for more presents, well if you've been good all year......Dennis.

That's a neat little machine!