Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rope edging on bezels ?

Default Rope edging on bezels ?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but how do you do the rope edging on bezels? is it something you buy? or do you make it? and if so how?

Thanks in advance

Not sure I understand what you mean Sarah, have you got a sketch or photo showing what you want?

Is it something like the 3rd one in this photo with a twisted wire around a bezel set stone?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MJL pendants 6,11,08.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	8272

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 27-10-2015 at 01:48 PM.

Could you DIY it by twisting two or three round wires together?

Years ago when I worked in a workshop we used to twist together two thin wires, long enough to wrap around the bezel and then run solder along the twists before soldering to the bezel. If you are really careful you can modify the twists after soldering the wires together so that the ends match when wrapped around the bezel. hope this makes sense

As they all say, it's twisted wire decoration Sarah. It can be two or three wires, twisted, or if you are feeling lazy, just one twisted square wire will give a good effect. You can also roll it slightly in the mill to flatten it after twisting.

Practising with copper shows what can be achieved.

No need for solder yet. Make slightly too small a ring, when matching the ends, solder them, stretch over a mandrel until it fits over your bezel, then tack in place with a little more solder. Dennis

You can buy the pretwisted wire or make yourself. Heres a link with a couple of different wire combos and the profiles they can create.
    - Emily

I don't often do this (I'm wearing that t--shirt today) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISolVG5YW4Y

Fab! thanks folks!

Thats beautiful James!
    This is the sort of thing I was wanting http://www.pueblodirect.com/images2/112414066.jpg
    I have to make a Navajo style bracelet for an American indian friend with some large turquoise and noticed they often have rope edging.
    I may not do it on this one actually as it is to have horsehair braid around the stones so would probably be too much but I got to wondering how it was done.
    Thanks very much for the tips and link and also vid Lydia! my internet is shite atm but I will definitely watch it in the morning when it picks up again.
    Thank you!

it is very tongue in cheek and not *much* help I'm afraid - the thingy would work perfectly to do it though, assistant optional. Mine's a bit big to post...

My thingy's stiff, but definitely not as stiff as yours Lydia. I can just about manage it without help - though not when my dodgy shoulder's at its dodgiest. I think you've got a Friday one...