Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my torch faulty or is it me?!

Default Is my torch faulty or is it me?!

Hi all. My first post so please be gentle!
    I'm new to jewellery making and a while ago I purchased a Max Flame Butane Torch (not from Cookson, sorry!). From the outset I've had an issue with it. Trying to fire PMC and over the three minutes, the flame gets progressively smaller & more difficult to work with, even when I've just filled it. This is my first ever torch so I don't know if this is normal or if it's faulty (or if there's something I'm doing wrong). It happens irrespective of the angle I use it at. Any advice greatly appreciated! I've even made a YouTube video if I'm allowed to post a link?
    Hester

Hi Hester, This and a standard weeny hand torch are all I use. I have to say I've never had that kind of issue with it (although I use my weeny torch for any PMC usually as I only have ever done small pieces). Is the slider that controls the flame size on the side slipping maybe, or at a lower setting than you need? Mine does need topping up regularly, but am pretty sure it could handle 3 minutes! A vid would be handy, feel free to PM me as I don't think you can post links yet.

Thanks LydiaNiz! Have PMd you

Quote Originally Posted by anturdesigns View Post
    Hi all. My first post so please be gentle!
    I'm new to jewellery making and a while ago I purchased a Max Flame Butane Torch (not from Cookson, sorry!). From the outset I've had an issue with it. Trying to fire PMC and over the three minutes, the flame gets progressively smaller & more difficult to work with, even when I've just filled it.
    That sounds to me suspiciously like the torch may not have been filled anything like as much as you think. Get hold of a digital kitchen scale. Weigh the torch before you attempt to fill it. Also weigh the gas canister you're going to fill it from. When you've finished filling the torch, weigh the two again. The torch should go up in weight approximately as much as the canister goes down.

I don't know what the fuel capacity of the torch you're using is but I'd say it should comfortably take 30g worth of gas. Try putting in 20g and see whether the flame's three minute lifespan increases a bit.

I had a proper little production line going earlier, and was using a smaller-flame butane torch.I estimate that I had at least 15/20 mins on full (probably much more), and it hasn't run out yet. So if your torch has the same capacity, and it doesn't use 5 times as much as my standard-ish one, you're either not filling it properly, it's not letting you fill it properly, or.... something else I have forgotten since I started typing this!

When you're filling, make sure to hold everything upside down, make sure the seal is good, and let it fill until it does a spluttery-bubble noise. (and then I leave it stand for a few minutes because I'm paranoid about being on fire) You probably know that already! But I have an excessively cautious attitude to <strike>exploding myself with</strike> gas and it took a fair while before I got good at filling the torch properly.

You can tell whether you torch is filling properly if the body feels really cold progressively to the top. However overfilling to the point where it begins to hiss and you try to add a lot more can cause some torches to flare scarily, so you must exercise caution.

If you are doing everything right as advised by the replies above, but without success, consider returning the torch for investigation. I hope all these enthusiastic replies did not scare you. Welcome, Dennis.

Thank you Marna & Dennis

I have filled the torch exactly as you've said & it's a full as can be! Went back and tried again just now but it's still full from the last time I filled it, so lots of spluttering! Might let it run empty & then try your idea of weighing it as maybe there's some defect with the filling? In any case it sounds like it is faulty somehow. The company I bought it from were trying to tell me that they don't see a problem with what I've described (or shown them on YouTube) and are refusing to replace/refund
    Thanks again all of you!! That wasn't scary at all, just really helpful (as I've noticed from reading other threads!).

Hi there, just watched the vid, that doesn't look right. Mine (when newly full) is much fiercer than that. I can take a comparable video for you tomorrow if you want? (And my one is a good couple of years old). The slider on the right hand side should adjust the flame size, is it making no difference at all?

Here's the link if anyone wants to see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6e_...ature=youtu.be

Thanks so much for posting the link!
    The slider makes a difference to the flame size, but it still decreases in just the same way. It was set to about 3/4 in that vid.
    Any recommendations for a good torch, by the way!?

The max flame is a good butane torch, mine works like charm. Yours is faulty, it can happen with anything. I'd demand a refund or replacement under the sale of goods act.