Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new guy looking for advice

I used to use the clear vinegar and sea salt at home too - found it more effective than the super-safe food grade pickle. I have always used a pyrex bowl on a food warmer (the type you use tealights to heat. I keep Ikea in business).

Quote Originally Posted by sam.k View Post
    Alum like an alum block you use after shaving?
    You could smash up alum block, but it is inconvenient and expensive, so it's alum powder you buy.

As for safety pickle, rinse off well, but unless you are sensitive to it, wait until the last time of pickling before neutralising in a hot solution of soda crystals. Then rinse again. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    (the type you use tealights to heat. I keep Ikea in business).
    Well, tea lights are good for lubricating saw blades too. If you pull out the wick, they can be hung up by the hole. Dennis.

ive just finished soldering my first 6 jump rings and have tried making a 4 prong setting, that bit didnt go so great but I had some serious fun! ive not had chance to get a pickle pot so I will sort that out during the week, I just had to play with my new toys though.

I keep melting the silver wire before the solder does its job, am I using my torch to hot?

I use safety pickle from Cookies in a jam jar heated by a baby bottle warmer - heats up quickly and is thermostatically controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by sam.k View Post
    I keep melting the silver wire before the solder does its job, am I using my torch to hot?
    Back off with the heat a bit, make sure you're heating your whole piece and if it's easier, try soldering in a dim room, you can see wha's happening with the metal temperature a bit more easily.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

after years of using a variety of things, I have settled with this little beauty for pickling needs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2718769378...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    after years of using a variety of things, I have settled with this little beauty for pickling needs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2718769378...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    I have the exact same one, Wallace! I love that I can see clearly when things are ready to come out without having to fish around, and it's got a nice, small footprint too.

I use sulphuric acid - not really scary stuff (unlike hydrofluoric which I've mentioned elsewhere), provided you take reasonable care with storing and using it. I buy it off a local supplier of car batteries and dilute it down to about a 10% solution. Most of my needs are for quick, light pickling - Argentium normally blackens a bit when the metal is new (or freshly exposed by cutting/abrading), but very little after the first heating/pickling - and the sulphuric acid works well at room temperature.
    Alan