Thread: Metal on stones

Default Metal on stones

Just something to ponder on... If you take 2 similar settings, one with say a 1mm stone & another with a 10mm stone.

If you were to magnify the smaller to the same size as the bigger, you should find they look about the same.
    In other words, the amount of metal holding a stone remains constant relative to their size.

The thickness, bead, claw, bezel remain fairly consistent relative to the size also.

There are always instances of exceptions, but I`d say overall it`s a safe way of figuring out how you should be looking at things.

I'd like to try that Chris, but unfortunately I seem to have mislaid my 10mm diamonds. I'm always loosing things. Dennis.

Nevermind, any size will do.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 23-10-2015 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I'd like to try that Chris, but unfortunately I seem to have mislaid my 10mm diamonds. I'm always loosing things. Dennis.
    Ebay to the rescue 'cos that's where I buy my all of my 10mm diamonds!

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    Ebay to the rescue 'cos that's where I buy my all of my 10mm diamonds!
    OMG and the sapphires, emeralds, and rubies!!! eBay

Hey Chris, as a general rule, I use 0.8-1mm sheet for all stone sizes, but aim to leave 0.3-0.5mm visible metal surrounding the unset stone, regardless of the size of stone.....I guess that is the same formula that you are suggesting,......it looks the same regardless of stone size (rub-over settings)......??

Try & visualize depths by eyeballing it rather than trying to measure everything, It's much quicker & easier.
    What I was trying to get at is the fact that you would cover the same amount of stone wether It's 1mm or 1metre...the height of the wall would have to change in relation to size.
    If you rubover 0.5mm onto a 1mm stone, you won't see much of it & it would look a mess
    I don't think trying to be mathematical works at all well for a lot of things, your best of judging by eye.

Thanks Chris, I do judge by eye, but get what your saying in terms of covering the same amount of stone despite the size of the stone. Thanks and will be keeping this at the forefront of my mind as a reminder on the next few settings I make to see if I'm getting it right / can improve!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    Nevermind, any size will do.
    Hahah pretty much! Nice!

I've always tried to go the mathematical route, but I think I'll try judging by eye from now on Chris - interesting point.